4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 1:43 PM by kingsley47

Showing PDF files

kingsley47

Title

Showing PDF files

I would like to show PDFs in each of my filemaker records. Right now I can basically attach shortcuts but this is not what I want. How can I make it so that each filemaker record shows the pdf (entire image) associated with it. I would have each PDF be the size of one page basically.

• 1. Re: Showing PDF files
          philmodjunk

On Macs, you can insert the pdf into a container field, but on Windows, you see the file shortcut.

IF the PDF's are stored separately from the Database, you can use a Web Viewer to display the PDF contents on your layout. You just need to construct the correct "open file" URL needed to open the file in the viewer.

• 2. Re: Showing PDF files
            kingsley47

Can you give me an example of what that would look like? I think I might understand what you're saying but I haven't a clue on what it would look like. 

• 3. Re: Showing PDF files
              philmodjunk

The details depend on the platform. On my windows machine, the URL for a webviewer set to display a PDF in a folder on my desktop might look like this:

"file://C:/Documents and Settings/Phil/Desktop/Test DBS/FileName"

This is a literal text example, you can modify it to include a file name or such in a field as needed to get the path to your PDF.

• 4. Re: Showing PDF files
                kingsley47

Thanks that worked great.

I have another question now. Is there a way to make the web viewer fields shrink if they cannot locate anything at thend of their file path?