2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 12:58 PM by GuyStevens

Showing records in Portal with same category

thong127

Title

Showing records in Portal with same category

Hello, I have a Table called Materials Table, with the following fields

Material Name,

Category which is a dropdown list (Bottles, Closures, Labels)

my problem is how can I show in a portal all the materials having the same category.

any ideas and suggestions?

Thank you.

thong

• 1. Re: Showing records in Portal with same category
          philmodjunk

Each material should be recorded in it's own record not in different fields fo the same record. In manufacturing, this related table of materials is called a "Bill of Materials" or BOM.

Products-----<BOM>-----Materials

Products::__pkProductID = BOM::_fkProductID
               Materials::__pkMaterialID = BOM::_fkMaterialID

You can place a portal to BOM on the Products layout to list and select a Materials record for each given Products record. Fields from Materials can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Materials record and the _fkMaterialID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Materials records by their ID field.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 2. Re: Showing records in Portal with same category
            GuyStevens

Yes, this is really simple.

Go to "File" - "Manage" - "Database"

And go to the Relationships tab.

Select your table and hit the icon with the two green arrows on the bottom to duplicate the Table Occurrence.

Now drag a line from the Category field in the one Table Occurrence to the Category field in the other Table Occurrence.

You have created a relationship that says that records will be shown where the Category in table occurrence A equals the category in table occurrence B.

Now just create a portal on your layout that shows records from table occurrence B and you are all set.