1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 11:51 AM by GuyGrenier

Showing text from a second field in a value list

GuyGrenier

Title

Showing text from a second field in a value list

I have two tables : NAMES and ACTIVITIES

NAMES contains the fields IdNumber and Name 

IdNumberName
      1Bob
      2Martha
      3Willis
      4Imelda

ACTIVITIES contains a field Participants

The table NAMES serves to create a value list the is used by ACTIVITIES::Participants

The value List_of_names list is based on NAMES::IdNumber. In the properties of List_of_names, I selected the possibility to show the data from NAMES:Name (show values from a 2nd field)

In one layout, the field ACTIVITIES::Participants shows a check list where appears List_of_Names. So I can select a few of the names appearing.

Bob
      XMartha
       Willis
      XImelda

I chose to build the value list through NAMES::IdNumbers because the precise text in the field NAMES::Name may be modified in the future. For example, if I want Bob to be Bob Smith instead, IdNumber 1 will be checked and Bob Smith will be chosen.

Here’s my problem:

In another layout I want a field that shows only the selected names. Since my value list is built from NAMES::IdNumber, if I use the field ACTIVITIES::Participants as an edit box, I get the following result:

When in fact, I would like to get: 

Martha

Imelda

What is the easiest way to achieve that?