4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 3:05 PM by comment_1

Showing values only once in portal

datacapture

Title

Showing values only once in portal

I currently have a database that requires a portal.  The database that the portal relates to has several repeating values.  I want to show the portal without repeating values in it.  Is this possible?

I'm using FM Pro 10 Advanced on Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Showing values only once in portal
          etripoli
             Would that be 'records with repeating values'?  Possibly a value list based on the field, and a calculation field based on the value list.  But, you wouldn't be able to display it in a portal.
          • 2. Re: Showing values only once in portal
            datacapture

I think you are correct, I have several records with the same value in one of the fields that I need to display.

I have used the value list in a dropdown list in other areas and the ability of the value list is what I am looking for, but in this case I need it displayed in a portal. 

As of right now, I am completely frustrated. 

Is there a way to write a script to determine if a value is not unique within a set of records?  This would help me solve my issue, because I could set up a field to be a certain value (ie. 1) if the value was not unique.  Then I could include this field in my portal definition, and it would only show unique values.

Either way would work, or any other ideas anyone has.

• 3. Re: Showing values only once in portal
              etripoli

Just thought of another way.  Self relate the portal table, field with the non-unique values, and make sure you have a record id field.  Then, create a calculation field in the portal table, (unique record)= Case ( RecordID = Min ( Table Self:Record ID ), 1 )

Then, create a dummy calc field in the main table, = 1, and add this to the relationship: Dummy Calc Field = Unique Record Field

• 4. Re: Showing values only once in portal
                comment_1

datacapture wrote:
                Is there a way to write a script to determine if a value is not unique within a set of records?  This would help me solve my issue, because I could set up a field to be a certain value (ie. 1) if the value was not unique.  Then I could include this field in my portal definition, and it would only show unique values.

I am afraid that wouldn't work, because such calculation would have to be unstored and couldn't be used as a matchfield on the child side.

There are ways to de-dupe a portal, but they are not simple. The straightforward way would be to create a third table of unique values and make the portal show records from this table.