Go to the Inspector's data tab and use the container field alignment settings to change the alignment from center to top alignment. Fields must have top alignment to slide up and left alignment to slide left. Unlike other fields, container fields have their own alignment settings on the data tab (instead of the Appearance tab) and default to a center/center alignment instead of left/top like other fields.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top, alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Many thanks PhilModJunk. Problem solved. Solution now progressing at speed.