1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 6:21 AM by philmodjunk

Silent Auction closing script

symbister

Title

Silent Auction closing script

Hi

I'm setting up a very simple bidding system for a silent auction of artworks, in FMP but to be in Go on iPads, where a potential buyer can be registered, with a unique code, in a buyers table with name details, then each bid is entered, and becomes a record in the bids table, with code, date, amount etc.

What I'd like to do is automatically stop bids being entered after a certain time, then displaying the successful bidder's name and final amount.

How would I go about generating a script that would do that - couldn't be field script trigger based as there might not be any input in the bid layout for several minutes at a time.

Of course we could just start a script at say 8pm, which continues to run under all the other scripting back and forth from bids, buyer setup and so on, and finishes 90mins later ... but that seems fraught with potential delays ..?

any ideas welcome, thanks

• 1. Re: Silent Auction closing script
          philmodjunk

Take a look at the Install OnTimer script step in FileMaker help. It sets up a "Timer" on a window such that a script will be performed every so many seconds and the interval may be calculated so your script can use the current time to compute the interval--which can then be the time specified to close the auction. The specified script can then run and close down your auction for that user. And it can then "turn off" the timer by including its own Install OnTimer script step with no parameters specified.