1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 4:24 PM by philmodjunk

Silly Question

BlakeCaraway

Title

Silly Question

I'm brand new to FileMaker and am looking at adding new features to my company's current FM db setup.

In order to start implementing the new features it seems I will need to begin making use of Custom Functions. It seems to me Custom Functions are only available in the 'Advanced' version of FM 11.

My questions: Is it possible to develop databases using FM Pro 11 Advanced while other clients in my company have only FM Pro installed?

Also, I'm investigating the feasibility of hosting a few databases online where clients will be able to access/maintain information with only a web browser (no need for a client installation). Would I be able to develop and publish with FM Pro 11 Advanced and allow other remote users to work this way? What are the limitations when working this way?

Any help here is much appreciated....

Thank You!

• 1. Re: Silly Question
          philmodjunk

The "advanced" versions of filemaker are specifically intended for the developer. Files developed by the advanced versions are fully functional when open/accessed by regular versions of filemaker--you just don't have those useful developement tools available to help you design the file.

A copy of filemaker advanced (or regular filemaker pro for that matter) can host a file for Instant Web publishing for up to 5 simultaneous users. To host the file for more users, you'd need filemaker Pro server advanced and many people pay a hosting service to do this for them.