AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple Calculated AppleScript to Open File is Not Working

Question asked by patrick on Apr 21, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 by patrick

Title

Simple Calculated AppleScript to Open File is Not Working

Hi

I am using Mac OS 10.8.3 and FileMaker Pro 12.0v3.

I have a database with an image in a container field in each record. The image is stored as a reference only and all are kept in a single folder.

The database is not on the boot volume, in fact it and the folder with the images are all on a Drobo connected to the Mac by FireWire.

I wish to be able to open each image in Preview (which is the default image viewer on my Mac) using a button beside the image container field.

I have set this up before on other databases on other Macs, but now it is not working even though it is so simple.

I get the path to the image from GetAsText ( the container field ) then I put that into an AppleScript which is run from a FileMaker Pro script, and of course that FileMaker Pro script is triggered by the button beside the container field in the record.

In this case to get the path I have simply created a calculation field which uses a calculation to create a path from the container field. This way I can see that the path is calculated correctly. The path is in this format:

Volume:Folder:Folder:image.jpg

So here is the calculation to create the AppleScript.

"tell application \"Finder\"" & ¶ &
     "open file " & "\""
     & 
     Table::field
     &
     "\"" & ¶ &
     "end tell"

When I run this script I get an error dialogue box which says:

Finder got an error: Can't get file "Volume:folder:folder:image.jpg".

I have created the script in the AppleScript Editor and it runs just fine from there.

tellapplication "Finder"

openfile "Volume:folder:folder:image.jpg"

endtell

It does not make any difference if I use "open file" or "open", except the wording of the error dialogue changes.

It is so simple, but it is not working.

I am hoping that I have not seen something very obvious and this will be pointed out to me.

It would not be the first time :)

Thank you.

Outcomes