5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

Simple FIND goes weird.

blewvelvet

Title

Simple FIND goes weird.

I have a HOME page which is like a "Fisher Price Busy Box".

You can do a lot of little things all from one page.

One simple things I've done a thousand times before is to do a simple find from a pull down menu. (find a client in a seprate table via a new relationship created for this specific find)

It works GREAT...until after I get to my client's record.

I want to GO BACK to my HOME page. I Click HOME button.

Instead FM pro goes right back into FIND mode (on the client table layout)...and I get this window error.

"There are no valid criteria in this request. Type a valid request before clicking Find."

Funny...it just found the correct record (cool)..and I just clicked my simple Home button that is not even have a script.

I find myself in FIND mode on my client layout page. (uncool)

Weird!

Oh yeah..when I click CONTINUE (out of the 3 choices "Cancel" "Continue" or "Modify Find" on the dialog error message....my one found record is still there..so I click the HOME button..then it works!

How do I avoid this. I tried Set Error Capture ON..which removes the dialog window..but I still have to click the HOME button-Twice. It seems the first time...it's doing something...but nothing changes.

Is there a way to CANCEL a find in a script?

New_Designed_Database.jpg

• 1. Re: Simple FIND goes weird.
          philmodjunk

We'd need to see your script. It sounds like you may have a script that pauses in Find Mode on your Home layout, but this is just a guess on my part.

clients are in a seprate table and a new relationship was created for this specific find

That sounds a bit odd here as you don't need a relationship in order to find a record in the client table, though it may be needed if you have a conditional value list of data from the Client Table here.

I recommend that you post the actual script that finds your client record so others can take a look at it.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by clicking the edit link to your original message and uploading it there
          2. You can upload a screen shot to a file share site and post the download link to a new response you post here.
          3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF.
          4. If You have FileMaker advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          5. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional look to your script. (Use the HTML option and paste the text into the HTML editor.)
          • 2. Re: Simple FIND goes weird.
            blewvelvet

I guess..i'm kind of having problems with FIND in general..because my HOME page always starts in FIND mode...mostly because everything will be found from here.

This is so the user is not even aware they are FIND mode.. I use script triggering on everything on this page because either in BROWSE or FIND mode..clicking on something will either find the result or take you there.

So...I guess..what I find perplexing is that some of these items work really well on the HOME page...BUT...no matter what I do in a script "ENTER BROWSE MODE' or PERFORM FIND...the script doesn't go past these..and does not do what it is being asked.

I just get taken to the new layout "IN FIND MODE" in certain layouts...and it just sits there. I have to click on CANCEL FIND..which is not very "automatic".

I've tried many variations by looking around other sites and seeing other scripts. I've tried pausing, exiting if else stuff.

Here was my last attempt..I just put Browse Mode/Perform...anything..

The idea is that It has to be in BROWSE mode BEFORE the last item can do it's thing..which is a script that does work on it's very own. I tested it from Browse mode.

SCRIPT Trying to exit FIND MODE

• 3. Re: Simple FIND goes weird.
              philmodjunk

Without more detail there's not much more I can suggest. I'm asking you to spell this one out in inches--either by posting the script used or by listing the all user actions you are taking when this happens.

Personally, I suggest that you leave the system always in Browse Mode. Use fields with global storage to collect user criteria, then use the script to enter find mode, set up the criteria, perform the find--returning the user back into browse mode.

Here's a sample script that finds all records with a date specified in the global field, gDate on a different layout than where they entered/selected a date:

Go To layout [//specify layout where you want to see the results of your find]
              Enter find mode [] //clear the pause check box
              Set field [Yourtable::yourdatefield ; YourTable::gDate] // this step will not work unless gDate has global storage specified in field options.
              Set Error capture [on] //this keeps an error message from interrupting your script if no records are found
              Perform Find []
              Sort [no dialog ; Restore ] //optional

• 4. Re: Simple FIND goes weird.
                blewvelvet

Now in FIND MODE..after I get a successful search..say in TALENT database. I click a simple button link to another layout..It will not switch..so I manually exit FIND mode..and choose the HOME page..it kicks it right back to TALENT. This is the weirdest filemaker Voo Doo I've ever seen in FMPro. Also. I've checked to make sure the Layout mode has any script triggering turned off.

I've never had anything like this happen in FMPRo..in the 10 years I've been using it.

• 5. Re: Simple FIND goes weird.
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, but that's not enough detail to know what is going on. I think that I may have to see your database to be able to say anything more.

One last try at understanding what you describing here...

Now in FIND MODE.. Are you performing a manual search or using a script that paused in find mode?

I get a successful search.. If this is a successful search, you should now be in Browse Mode since you can't see the results of a find in find mode. 

..so I manually exit FIND mode..How did you get back into find mode after your "successful search"?

I click a simple button link to another layout..It will not switch..This would be a button with "Go to layout" specified in button setup?

..and choose the HOME page.. How? by clicking the above mentioned "simple button link" or are you picking it from the layout drop down?

Are "Home" and "Talent" two different files, two different layouts, two different tables or some combination of all three?