4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 3:30 PM by philmodjunk

Simple Inv Database

JonQ

Title

Simple Inv Database

Hi I was going to make a simple In-House Inventory database for our company(at least i hope it is simple!) so if we had a fire or desaster we would have something to turn into insurance saying what equipment we had and amount.

I have Filemaker Pro 8.5 on Windows XP.

Like many databases it started simple but people kept wanting more and more options added to it! here is what i am thinking:

Item Name, Desc, Purchase Date, Cost (see...simple!)

Then I was going to add a container filed and write a script button so that when you click on it, it will allow you to attach a pdf file to the record. this would be for the original invoice.

ok, here is where my questions start. is there a way to make sentry file print the selected records and the corisponding pdf file?

the next step that someone brought up would be to create a second table with the contanor fields in so that i could have multipul pdfs attached to one inventory item. this would be in case we order something so we have a PO, then an invoice, then a packing slip, then an RMA for when it goes bad, then..etc. It would be nice to have this paper trail for the individual items. and likewise able to select items and have all pertinant attached documents print out automaticaly.

Please note we are not looking at an inventory managment system to track inv for selling or customers, just a small amount of radio and electronic in house equipment for insurance reasons..and now a small amount more to make our other employees happy.

So is any of this doable? or should we just stick to keeping it simple?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Simple Inv Database
          JonQ
             Does anyone have any ideas???
          • 2. Re: Simple Inv Database
            philmodjunk

"So is any of this doable?"

Yes,

"is there a way to make sentry file print the selected records and the corisponding pdf file?"

sentry file? What's that? a typo perhaps?

You can certainly print a layout listing the records that make up the current found set and you can print the PDF once you open it.

• 3. Re: Simple Inv Database
              JonQ

Yes that was a typo...to many things going on at once!

Can FILEMAKER print the corisponding attached pdfs? i know i could open each one and print it, but looking for an automated way that will print a bunch of them. The thought would be to print the list out if we had a fire or tornado and lost everthing...reprint all of our documents for insurance.

thanks, and sorry for the mistake!

• 4. Re: Simple Inv Database
                philmodjunk

If it is a single page PDF, then you can display this page in a web viewer sized to be large enough to display the entire page. Then you can print it.

Here's a link that discusses this method (check out TSGal's example for how to do this.)

webviewer: different behaviours between OS X and Windows?

There may be more effective ways to do this with a plug in.

An interesting question to consider: If you've lost the originals, but still have the PDF's, why would you want to reprint and re-file all that hard copy? Wouldn't it be simpler just to keep them as PDF's at that point?