7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 1:30 PM by philmodjunk

Simple Portal Filter - FM11

FM_Rookie

Title

Simple Portal Filter - FM11

I have a portal that lists all entries in Field1.  I want to filter OUT from the portal any entry that has "Entry1" & "Entry2" from the list.  I can get it to remove one, but not both.

Table1::Field1 ≠ Entry1 or
      Table1::Field1 ≠ Entry2

From what I've seen, I'm doing something wrong on an elementary level (thus the name, FM_Rookie), but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
          philmodjunk

ARe you comparing text or numbers here?

How do you specify the values for Entry1 and Entry2? are they constants specified in the expression, variables or fields?

• 2. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
            Sorbsbuster

Do you mean that you want to "...filter OUT from the portal any entry that has "Field1 = Entry1" [AND] Field1 = Entry2"? In that case, should your OR not be an AND?

Or do you mean you want to filter out any records where Field1 = Entry1, and also filter out any where Field1 = Entry2 (which is an OR statement)?

• 3. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
              FM_Rookie

I'm comparing text.  Entry1 & Entry2 are contents from a value list, so there values are used throughout the table... so the value list could have, Entry1, Entry2, Entry3,... as possibilities for Table1::Field1.

• 4. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
                Sorbsbuster

So, the entry could be 'Apple', or it could be 'Pear'.  You want to exclude from the portal any record that has 'Apple', and also exclude any record that has 'Pear'?

Is that not:

Table1::Field1 ≠ "Apple" and
                Table1::Field1 ≠ "Pear"

• 5. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
                  philmodjunk

The operator should be OR, but it could simply be that the portal is not refreshing when a value is changed.

In the expression you have. What are "entry1" and "entry2"?

Do you use values in quotes or do you refer to a field or variable?

• 6. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
                    FM_Rookie

Let me try this again (new example)

I have a portal based on the TO "Activities" which has a field named "EventID" (Activities::EventID)

I have EventIDs of 1 -20.  I want this portal to show ALL EventIDs EXCEPT 15 and 17.  When I do this expression:
                         ACTIVITY::EventID ≠ 15 or ACTIVITY::EventID ≠ 17, all EventIDs still shows up. 

When I do:
                         ACTIVITY::EventID ≠ "15" or ACTIVITY::EventID ≠ "17", EventID 17 still shows up in the list

All the relationships are right.  When I do a manual "refresh" it doesn't make any difference.

Much thanks!

• 7. Re: Simple Portal Filter - FM11
                      philmodjunk

Sorbsbuster was correct. You need to use And in place of OR.

Think it through like I didn't the first time.Embarassed

If EventID = 17, the first clause is true and thus the record shows.

If eventID = 15, the second clause is true and thus the record shows.

In short, with OR, the statement is never false!