AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple relationship queries!

Question asked by DanDan on Jul 30, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 by DanDan

Title

Simple relationship queries!

Hi,

Although filemaker 11 allows it, is it okay to have two relationships from a key field to two other occurances?

For example, I want to add a table to my database that keeps track off customer subscriptions.

Using the starter template 'invoices' I added a subscriptions table with subscription id, customer id, product id and product name fields.  The idea being I could attach multiple subscriptions to each customer and look the products up which they subscribe to via the products field occurance.

Initially I had the subscriptions table linked to a customers and products table occurance, but realized by doing this I could not add the subscriptions record entry fields on a tab in the customers layout which is what I wanted.  So I had to create a relationship between the base customer table and the subscriptions table via the customer id field.  The problem, or maybe not a problem, was that the customer id field in the customer base table is already linked to the similars table occurance.

In other words, I would have two relationships from the same customer id key field to two different tables.  Whether it works or not I don't know but it doesn't sound very good practice.

Hope all that makes sense.  My wanted solution is to have a seperate table for subscriptions, but have the record entry layout on the same tab control as the customer page, so at a glance I can see all subscriptions for that customer.

Any guidance welcomed.

Thanks

Danny

confusion.jpg

Outcomes