AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simulating a spreadsheet

Question asked by dash4689 on Feb 26, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Simulating a spreadsheet

I work with a small company who desperately needs a database to manage their production, inventory, order processing & fulfillment, and shipping. But they are very much in the dark ages about information management.  I'm trying demonstrate what FM Pro could do for them. I know how to design most of the database but  One thing I don't understand is how to simulate spreadsheet-like function.  I have read about this capability and think it involves portals and charts.

Specifically I want a screen so the warehouse guy can plan out his shipment on a form that has columns and rows.  Across the top are the 26 products the company carries, and down the side are listed the skids.by 1-20. This report would show what combination of products are on each of the skids, Each product would be totaled at the bottom along with the amount the customer ordered. It would look something like this:

Prod A       Prod B       Prod C     ...          Prod Z

Skid 1            40

Skid 2            15            15

Skid 3                                           80                    35

Skid 20                          35            90

----------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL          55              50           170                  35

ORDERED     55              60           100                 

DELTA            0             -10           -70

The TOTAL row would be subtracted from the Inventory count for each product. (This is the only point at which info on this "spread sheet" would interface with the rest of the data in the program) The numbers assigned to each skid would also appear on the warehouse Pick sheet for each skid that skid's contents.

Outcomes