1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2013 11:19 PM by JohhnyHilly

Single checkbox from a value list

JohhnyHilly

Title

Single checkbox from a value list

Is there anyway to have a single checkbox from a value list that has more than one value in that list....instead of having a field that shows all the values?

To explain why I want to do this...I have a square shape on my layout and would like to have a single checkbox in each of the corners. I have built a value list from another layout with 4 different values/entries and would like the corners to show the respective values/entries from that value list (i.e. not showing all 4 values at each corner).

EDIT: Also once I have checked the checkboxes, how do I bring up these selected values in a portal...from what I have tried all of the checked values come in one row on the portal, not one value on each row. 

• 1. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
          Sorbsbuster

Try making 4 value lists, each with one value.

• 2. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
            JohhnyHilly

The example above was just an example to explain it simply. I actually have over 15 values in the value list and also the value list is built from another field input so would like to keep them together.

• 3. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
              philmodjunk

A more detailed description of what you are trying to do would be very helpful.

Conditional value lists can select which values are used in a value list from a larger set of values drawn from a table. That might be one way to make this work.

There are also ways to put layout text on your layout set up as buttons and with conditional formatting so that they look and function like check boxes, but actually perform scripts that modify the data. And the data modified can be individual records in a table of related records---which could then be listed as rows in your portal.

But to be more specific than that requires a much more detailed understanding of what you are trying to do. What is not clear at this point is how "over 15 values" gets filtered down to just 4--one for each corner of your square.

• 4. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                JohhnyHilly

I'll try what you suggested Phil shortly but this is what I want to do. Btw, I sent you an internal message with even more detail of this and other issues.

On a layout, have an outline of a vessel and around this vessel I would like to have single checkboxes based on the equipment list (value list) that has been created (from the thread http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6dd616be93?page=2). So for example, have a single checkbox for the Main Engine Port, then another single checkbox for the Bow Thruster. For the moment, I am only able to create a field for the entire equipment value list, not just a single piece of equipment. It's more or less for aesthetic value, as I would settle for just the entire list if what I am asking can't be done.

• 5. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                  philmodjunk

Yes, but what determines that a check box will represent the Bow thruster and not the Main Engine Port? There has to be some sort of value there that FileMaker can use to determine what value to assign to that check box when it is clicked.

Question: Is this to show the approximate position of a given item of equipment on the Vessel's equipment List?

• 6. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                    Sorbsbuster

I'm trying to imagine what you are trying to achieve.

You could have a relationship to a table that has two fields - the Equipment Description (I am assuming the Equipment ID as A Given) and the equipment location.  Then place a portal at each point of the diagramatic vessel.  Filter each portal by 'Location', where the portal you place over the bow  is filtered to only show records for that Vessel (ID), that Location, etc.

• 7. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                      JohhnyHilly

To answer your reply Phil, that is my question. Is it possible to have a single checkbox showing one value from a value list when that value list has say 15 values in it.

Answer:  Yes you are right in what I am trying to do. I would like to have a checkbox at each point on the vessel where a piece of equipment is. (This list has been created from the equipment layout and thus is already in the equipment_list value list). From there, the user can select by checking checkboxes, which equipment they want to include in the equipment list they are building for that vessel.

Sorbsbuster, I already have that table setup which Phil suggested previously in another post (http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6dd616be93). This is my current structure:

Vessel-----<Equipment_LIst>-------Equipment

Vessel::__pkVesselID = Equipment_List::_fkVesselID
                           Equipment::__pkEquipmentID = Equipement_List::_fkEquipmentID

Under Equipment, this is where the user can add equipment if they choose and it populates the Equipment value list. On this layout I have Equipment ID and Equipment Name (equipment name is exactly the same as equipment location).

Can you clarify, that what you suggested with the filtered portal is linked to a checkbox being checked? If so, what structure/relationships would I need to make this all happen?

• 8. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                        Sorbsbuster

Another advantage of making it a number of portals showing records from a separate table is that you can then sort the list of equipment many different and, I'd have thought useful, ways.  For example:

One vessel needs:

HMS Golden Hind
                             Generator (Large) x 2
                             Generator (Medium) x 3
                             Bilge Pump x 4
                             Search lamp x 1

Each type of equipment is needed:

Generator (Large)
                             HMS Golden Hind x 2
                             RMS Titanic x 4
                             SS Queen Mary x 6

Similar locations need:

Needed at the Bow
                             HMS Golden Hind
                                   Generator (Large)
                                   Pump
                             RMS Titanic
                                   Generator (Small)
                                   Pump
                             SS Queen Mary
                                   Generator (Medium)
                                   Floodlight

Needed at the Stern
                             SS King Orry
                                   etc....

• 9. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                          philmodjunk

Is it possible to have a single checkbox showing one value from a value list when that value list has say 15 values in it.

I don't think you understood my question.

You have that single check box on your screen. Your equipment_list for this vessel includes a "bow thruster" and a "winch". How do we know that that single check box represents the bow thruster and not the winch?

• 10. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                            JohhnyHilly

I was hoping it would be something similar to the standard setup of a value list with checkboxes, checkboxes with the respective equipment names next to it (see screenshot). All I would like is the have each individual checkbox with equipment name spread around the vessel image at their respective locations on the vessel.

• 11. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                              philmodjunk

All good, but how will you Select, say, the Bow as the location for a specific piece of equipment?

Sorbusters portal suggestion is looking better and better, but you still need a way to indicate that the "Deck Crane" for example is located at the stern and not the bow or vice versa. You could, for example, have a field in Equipment_List that identifies the general location for that piece of equipment. Then the portals could filter to show only Equipment_list records for items with a specified location in that spot.

This would then be much like that map of the dock slips showing vessels at each location that we discussed in another thread.

• 12. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                                JohhnyHilly

Ok thanks. I'm working my way through this. Can someone help me with the second part of the original question relating to checkboxes and the portal?

What I would like is that once I have checked the equipment in the checkboxes, I go to another layout that has a portal that displays all the pieces of equipment I checked on the previous layout. I've have done this with the _fkEquipmentID field, however, all of the equipment checked comes into the portal in the first row, i.e. each piece of equipment is NOT on a seperate row. How do I display each piece of equipment on each row of that portal?

FYI, the layout is based on the "Vessel" table and portal linked to the "Equipment_List" table.

• 13. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                                  philmodjunk

You need to be creating a new record in equipment list each time you add an item to that list. A single field with multiple checkboxes won't work for that purpose. Buttons that perform a script, on the other hand, can add that new related record each time you click to select an item of equipment AND specify its general location.

• 14. Re: Single checkbox from a value list
                                    JohhnyHilly

Thanks Phil. I'm understanding what you are saying but how would the script look like to create a record each time I click to select an item? Do you mean when I am selecting the pieces of equipment in the checkboxes?

1 2 3 Previous Next