7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 7:13 AM by philmodjunk

Single record viewing on FM go

janslort

Title

Single record viewing on FM go

Hi:

I'm running FMPro11 Adv. on a PC and have recently created a POS layout for FMGo11 to run on an Ipad.  Fantastic!!   It works really well and looks great.  I have turned off the toolbar and am letting customers in the retail shop enter their "join our mailing list" information.  I don't want any customer,  to be able to see any other customer's records when they are entering their information, or see any other screens.  What's the best way to accomplish this?

Jan Slort

• 1. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
          philmodjunk

Since you have disabled the tool bar, just make sure that the layout is in form view. Use a script performed by a button on a different layout open to this layout and also create the new record. Then data from other records will not be accessible.

A fancier approach is to set up a layout with global fields. The button that brings up this layout just clears the fields to make sure no data is in them to start. After filling out the fields and clicking "save" on a button you provide, the button's script creates a new record and copies over the data from the global fields. This method handles situations where the user changes their mind and wants to cancel a bit more gracefully.

• 2. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
            janslort

Phil: 

Not working!  I created a button on another layout that takes me to the "application" form & creates a new record. At the very top of the IPad screen it shows the little setup gear wheel which i need to suppres and on the opposite corner.a screen icon. When clicked, it shows all the files in the system.  While entries are in progress, a slide shows on the bottom of the screen allowing the user to see how many records are in the file.

the turn toolbar off option reverts each time a change of layouts is made.   I haven't done the "global" thing yet.

Jan

• 3. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
              philmodjunk

WIth each new window, your script will need to hide the tool bar, this isn't a universal setting for the entire file. Hiding the tool bar only hides the part shown at the bottom, the upper bar remains.

• 4. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
                janslort

Phil:

I did the global thing you suggested. So far so good. Now what's the best way of transferring the data to the "Members" file on the p.c. from the "Application" file on the IPad ? ? Delete the application record on the IPad with a new record request?  Could I get an image with the signature, saved somehow before deleting?

I would guess only 1 guest could be filling out a form at the same time even if we provide several iPads on the counter?

jan

• 5. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
                  philmodjunk

What means of communication have you set up between the FmGo device and the PC? If you connect via WiFi, your iOS device can be a guest of the file hosted on the PC by FileMaker Pro, then, data entered/captured via the iOS device is automatically stored on the PC and there is no need to trasnfer the data.

Otherwise, if you can't do this while connected to the hosted file, your best bet is, after recording the data, to return to WiFi range and connect to the PC using Import Reocrds or a number of other methods to transfer the data from the file on the iOS device to the file on the PC. There are 3rd party sync tools that you can acquire from 360Works or SeedCode that can be set up to do this for you.

None of these methods would require deleting any records on either device.

• 6. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
                    janslort

Phil:

I fear I have painted myself into a corner. When I am a guest on USER PC, over a wi-fi connection, my "applicant" can see all of my screens by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of the screen as well as being able to browse through all the detail records of other applicants. . I can't turn that icon off. If I use a file, which is "on my device", that problem is solved but since you had me change all my fields to "globals", I must import each record to my PC file, and delete it. Before I  create a fresh record with no data in it. 

I  also want to preserve the form he signed as an image before its deleted. 

Jan

• 7. Re: Single record viewing on FM go
                      philmodjunk

The icon in upper left lists open windows. If you don't want the window to be accessible, don't permit the user to open it. You do not need to delete the record and doing so does not delete the data in global fields anyway. You just need to clear the fields once the data has been "saved" to a new record--which might be a record local to the iOS device or a record in the hosted database.