1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 8:30 PM by KenKing

six TOs, one summary?

KenKing

Title

six TOs, one summary?

Hello Folks, 

From my Contacts layout, I'd like to see the name of a contact plus all notes attributed to that contact (entered via portal from Invoice layout to "Notes" table) from all Invoices.  The problem is I have six Contact TOs, so I'd need to have six layouts based on each TO?

Is there a way around this?  

Here's my structure: 

I have one table for Contacts, and six TOs of that table.  My Invoice TO is related to each of the six Contact TOs by key fileds (For each invoice, there are six fields for contacts: BuyerID, SellerID, Broker 1ID Broker 2ID, Other 1ID, and Other 2ID).

I have a Notes table related to the Invoice table (by invoiceID).  The notes table has a contact field (drop down, populated by values from Contact table).  

On a layout based on Invoices, I have one portal to Notes (fields are Notes::Text and Notes::ContactID, the latter of which is the drop down). 

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: six TOs, one summary?
          KenKing

Re-reading my post, I think the lightbulb turned on. 

To see all notes, from all invoices, for a given contact, I'd need a new Contact TO directly related to the Invoice TO, using Contact::ContactID as the match field and Invoice::ContactIDF.  

I tried it out and looks like it works:  On my contacts layout, I see multiple Notes from multiple Invoices (regardless as to whether this contact was a Buyer/Seller/Broker on that particular invoice - exactly my goal). 

So it seems I've answered my own question.  I wrote this post for other peoples' benefit (and also in case there is something wrong with this answer which others can point out). 

Thanks!