5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 11:23 AM by philmodjunk

sliding checkboxes

fluffyone

Title

sliding checkboxes

hey group

i want a checkbox set on a layout but there will be to many options for the space of the box. is it possible to have a slider option to reveal the unseen areas?

regards fluffy.

• 1. Re: sliding checkboxes
          raybaudi

What about a tab pannel, using a different value list for each tab, but applied to the same field ?

• 2. Re: sliding checkboxes
            fluffyone

Hi Raybaudi

I am using a tabbed panel at the moment, but sometimes taking your eye off the main data can have a negative imapact so switching between tabs is not always practical.

Also I think this would be very handy to use in portal rows, it would mean you could pack a load of options into a single line?

regards Fluffy

• 3. Re: sliding checkboxes
              philmodjunk

It's possible to set up a portal so that you get a "check box with scroll bar" effect. It takes some scripting to set up, but isn't too hard to do.

Here's a demo file: http://www.4shared.com/file/P5GpX8og/ContainerFieldCheckBoxes.html

Check out the "Portal" layout to see what I am describing. It uses a container field to show which values have been selected, though text with a conditional format may be used instead or even a calculation field formatted as a check box.

• 4. Re: sliding checkboxes
                fluffyone

Hi Phil

That's good, thanks. however in playing with it i shows another issue:

what I am trying to achieve is within a portal I have various fields that need entering and the current layout is showing a few records within the portal. I would like one of the fields to be a multiple option/check box selection in the portal row.  and because this will be within another portal, the check box selection field is only 1 row high and not very wide on initial viewing. (this is just an input screen where a lot of data is being entered in one place. there will be other  layouts that show the data better based on search criteria etc..)

If I use the sliding option on a long list of check box options it will be a bit fiddly / awkward to scroll up and down making the selections.

So my question is can a check box set be in a portal row so that you click on the field and a drop down window will appear showing all the selections in the little window? 

basically it is a pop up or drop down check box!

Regards

Fluffy

• 5. Re: sliding checkboxes
                  philmodjunk

First a few picky, but important details:

"because this will be within another portal, the check box selection field is only 1 row high and not very wide on initial viewing."

Portal rows can be as tall as you want. You aren't limited to a single narrow row unless you want to. You can resize them to fit your needs.

You can't use my suggestion inside of a portal as you can't have portals inside of portals.

You could format your field as a pop-up menu and shift click to make multiple selections. I don't like using pop-up menus in this way, but it does work.

You can also make your field a button that fires a script that pops up a floating window where you can make your selections.