4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 1:32 PM by SteveKeiser

Sliding elements

SteveKeiser

Title

Sliding elements

I thought I understood how sliding elements worked for printing--however I had never before used this function. Now that I am trying to use it on a purchase order form, I can't get it to work. I have read through the manual and searched here, but can't find answers. Attached is a screen shot of a part of the form. Sometimes the item descriptions take two lines, but many times they do not. What I am trying to accomplish is for the item description to take only one line when that is what is needed, but allow for two lines when that is needed. Can someone help me figure out how to do this?

snap003.jpg

• 1. Re: Sliding elements
          philmodjunk

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.

Item 7 would seem the most likely source of trouble for your layout.

If that is not enough to get this figured out for you, please describe what you have done to try to get sliding to work on your layout (And your screen shot doesn't seem to contain any example rows where sliding would be necessary...)

• 2. Re: Sliding elements
            SteveKeiser

The area of the screenshot is a portal, so I guess that explains my problem. Thanks.

Is there a way to display the information in such a way to substitute for the function of the portal?

• 3. Re: Sliding elements
              philmodjunk

Do it all the time.

You set up a list view layout based on the portal's table. Include fields from the parent table in the header, footer or grand summary layout parts.

Perform a find or use Go to Related Records to pull up a found set of just those records in the portal.

The Invoices starter solution uses this method to print invoices so you may want to take a closer look at it to see a working example of this method.

• 4. Re: Sliding elements
                SteveKeiser

Thanks so much!