1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 4:53 PM by tricias

Sliding Fields

tricias

Title

Sliding Fields

Hi,

I am creating a form with fields and field labels for users to complete.  In each record field information may vary in size so I would like to set my format for each field to "sliding/printing".  How do I anchor the 'field label' to the 'field' so that it slides with it?

Grateful for any assistance.

Tricia 

• 1. Re: Sliding Fields
          CarlaS

Try grouping the field lable with the field, then do the sliding/printing with both fields grouped.

Carla

• 2. Re: Sliding Fields
            tricias

Thanks for your reply.  I took off the sliding then grouped field and label and then did the sliding again but no luck I'm afraid. Field still slid and left label behind.  I'm using Fp8 by the way.

Tricia 

• 3. Re: Sliding Fields
              CarlaS
                 I was just taking a stab at it.  I have run into problems with sliding/printing in the past.  It doesn't always work the way I think it will.  I always just keep trying and eventually I get it to work, though I don't always know why.  Not quite sure what else to suggest but I'm sure one of these smart people on this forum will be able to help you.  I'm usually an "asker" rather than and "answerer" on this forum.  I'll watch for this to be solved because I'd be interested in the answer too.
              • 4. Re: Sliding Fields
                tricias
                   Thanks for trying CarlaS.  There are plenty on the forum much smarter than me at this stuff and they are very helpful I find.  I'm sure someone will let me know what will turn out to be a very simple answer. 
                • 5. Re: Sliding Fields
                  philmodjunk

There are two sliding options "All above" and "only directly above". Test both options. With the "all above" option selected, your label and text field should both slide up the same distance and thus stay aligned with each other.

I double checked this behavior using FMP 10 and two text fields with labels as shown below:

Text 1: | text 1 field   |

|                     |

|                     |

Text 2: [ text 2 field      ]

When I selected all 4 layout objects (2 fields and 2 labels) and applied sliding up with all above, also shrink the enclosing part, selected, Text 2 field and label both slid up in tandem when I previewed the layout.

• 6. Re: Sliding Fields
                    tricias

Hi,

Thanks for your reply PhilModJunk. I must be doing something wrong.  I am using Filemaker 8+ and my fields are just normal text fields.  If I select sliding for "all above" it reduces the size of the fields but they stay where they are.  If I select  "only directly above" only the field reduces and slides up.  The label stays where it is.  I have tried grouping my label and field and that doesn't make any difference.  Any further ideas?

• 7. Re: Sliding Fields
                      philmodjunk

Both label and field have to be set to "slide up". Did you do that or are you only applying sliding to the fields themselves?

This is a common "gotcha" when dealing with sliding layout objects. Once you set one object to slide, all objects even with or below it in the same layout part must also be set to slide in order for their relative positions to remain like you want.

• 8. Re: Sliding Fields
                        tricias
                           Good grief !!  Still getting same problem so created a new file with a blank layout and new text fields, including labels.  This did what it was supposed to do with a little extra bonus.  Above my labels and data I now have a list of the labels.    As a result my data starts half way down the page. Any further ideas?
                        • 9. Re: Sliding Fields
                          philmodjunk

tricias wrote:
                          Above my labels and data I now have a list of the labels.    As a result my data starts half way down the page.

Sorry, but I can't picture that. What do you mean by a "list of the labels"? Can you post an example or put a screen shot up on a file share site and link it to your post?

• 10. Re: Sliding Fields
                            tricias

This is Preview Mode and of course it's exactly what I get if I print.  Needless to say browse mode looks nothing like this.  :-) 

• 11. Re: Sliding Fields
                              philmodjunk
                                 Unfortunately, I can't see your linked image. :smileysad:
                              • 12. Re: Sliding Fields
                                tricias

Obviously copy & paste doesn't work in the forum and I don't know about links so hope this give you the idea. 

Comment 1

Comment 2

Comment 3

Comment 1            Blah Blah Blah 

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah 

Comment 2            Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Comment 3           Blah Blah Blah 

Blah Blah Blah

Like this except neat. 

• 13. Re: Sliding Fields
                                  philmodjunk

Browse, Layout or Preview Mode?

Does the horizontal line represent the boundary between two records or the header and body parts of your layout?

(No you can't paste images into the messages, that's why I suggested uploading the image to a file share site and putting a link to the image in your message. If you use the tree icon above, I believe you can make the linked image appear in the post as though you had pasted it.)

• 14. Re: Sliding Fields
                                    tricias

OK but I don't know where to upload the file to before the tree step therefore don't have a URL - sorry.

That is how it appears in "Preview Mode" and how it prints.  Browse and Layout don't show duplicate field labels.  Everything is in the "Body" and the line is one I put in after my first try when I thought maybe I needed something fixed above.  It didn't make any difference.  With or without the line I still had the top list of field labels. 

1 2 Previous Next