3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 11:21 AM by TSGal

Sliding fields with text running over multiple pages

nard1

Title

Sliding fields with text running over multiple pages

[Working with FMP 10 on a windows xp pro machine]

Hello,

I have trouble getting parts of a layout to slide the way I want it.

I have large amount of text in a database that I want to be able to print as a kind of 'word document style' layout. I have a table with 8 fields:

1. chapter

2. sub chapter

3. text body (can be from half a page of text up to 5 pages of text)

4. to 8. Picture containters   (some records only hold one picture while others hold 5)

This way every record holds the text body of a sub chapter (that is assigned to a chapter) and the pictures that belong to the text.

What I want to be albe to do is to print all the records so they form a kind of 'book'. I managed to do this by creating a list report with grouped data (organized by chapter and sub chapter). I set al the fields to sliding (up) so that all the text and picture fields are reduced to the size of the content.

So far, so good.

The problem that occurs happens when a records text body stretches over multiple pages or has multiple pictures that don't fit on one page (to print). When this is the case the text body will not slide underneath the chapter and sub chapter parts but will be placed on the next page. The same happens for the next records. Every time a record text body is longer than one page, it will not slide to the end of the previous records content but it will start on a new page.

I hope anyone has experience with this sliding thing. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
      Nard

• 1. Re: Sliding fields with text running over multiple pages
          TSGal

nard:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing your file, it is difficult to determine why this is occurring.

Click on the part definition for the Chapter and Sub-Chapter parts, and make let me know what options are checked.  If in the Sub-Chapter, you have page break after every occurrence, then the Body/Text information will print on the next page.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining if any of the options are affecting the printout.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sliding fields with text running over multiple pages
            nard1

Dear TSgal,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was on christmas leave so did not read your post earlier.

I checked the part definition for the Chapter and Sub-Chapter parts and found all the options unchecked.

The layout consists of:

Header

Sub summary by chapter

sub summary by subchapter

body

Footer

I checked all the body parts, and in all off them all options are unchecked in the part definition dialog.

If the text in the body is smaller than one page it will all work fine. chapter, sub chapter and text body will al be placed neithly under each other .

The strange thing is that the sliding only refuses to work when the text consists of multiple pages. If so, the chapter name will be placed on page 1, the sub chapter name on page 2 and the text body will start at page 3.

I tried rebuilding the layout from scratch already a couple of times but this does not seem to solve the problem either.

If disired I would be happy to send you the file to clarify this problem.

Kind regards,
            Nard

• 3. Re: Sliding fields with text running over multiple pages
              TSGal

nard:

I'll be happy to look at your file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.