5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 8:42 AM by philmodjunk

Sliding Page Content to Fit...

BradWieland

Title

Sliding Page Content to Fit...

I want my page layout to allow for 2 product SKU's per page. In some cases, the first SKU fills the page so that there is no room for the second SKU. Is there a way for me to "slide" a group of content fiields so that 2 SKU's will fit when there's room on the page? I know that Filemaker allows "sliding" for individual fields...can it be done with "groups" of fields?

• 1. Re: Sliding Page Content to Fit...
          philmodjunk

How will "sliding a group" differ from sliding individual fields?

• 2. Re: Sliding Page Content to Fit...
            BradWieland

Phil,

I didn't know about "sliding a group." I'll check it out. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Sliding Page Content to Fit...
              philmodjunk

I didn't suggest that you could. I asked how such a result would differ from setting each layout object to slide individually. I'm trying to get a clearer picture of the problem.

• 4. Re: Sliding Page Content to Fit...
                BradWieland

Oh, okay. Here's a screenshot that might be helpful:

http://screencast.com/t/ymjlLvxvTU

The long list of SKU's on the right will be part of the record for "Option 1". The same list will occur for "Option 2".

Some of the records will only use a few of these "SKU" fields; others will use all 50. Hence, the question about sliding, so that, whenever possible, 2 records will fit on a page.

• 5. Re: Sliding Page Content to Fit...
                  philmodjunk

Your long list of SKUs should be records in a related table not individual fields. The main problem I see right off the bat for your layout is that while your fields can slide, the field lables to the left of them will not.

As long as the data in the SKU fields are a single line of text, a portal to a related table of SKUs can be set to slide up. A sliding portal reduces the size of the portal to the number of records present in the portal, but fields within the portal row cannot adjust to show varying field heights.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                  2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                  3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                  4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                  5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
                  6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.