14 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 6:04 PM by comment_1

sliding picure boxes  and scaling

nymannouri

Title

sliding picure boxes  and scaling

Help - I understand how to slide text boxes in the body of a layout - but I'm having a hard time sliding and colapsing a photo box - I have some photo boxes above or below fields and they don't seem to slide closed when I apply the sliding feature and no picture is place in the box.... also trying to do this in a sub summary area?

also is there a way to place a picture a a certain percent eg; 100 percent of the image (rather than it being sized directly to the width or height of a pic box?

thanks so much I you can help me out --- Bill

• 1. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
          philmodjunk

"I have some photo boxes above or below fields and they don't seem to slide closed when I apply the sliding feature and no picture is place in the box...."

These are container fields, right? When you set them to slide/shrink, did you click "Also reduce the size of the enclosing part"? Which slide option: "all above" or "only directly above"?

Filemaker's Sliding option is very tricky to use. If your container fields overlap another field by even one pixel, it can affect how they slide. If that's a possibility, try clicking on the fields in layout mode and use the arrow keys to nudge them up or down a pixel or two to make sure fields don't overlap.

• 2. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
            raybaudi

nymannouri wrote:

I have some photo boxes above or below fields and they don't seem to slide closed when I apply the sliding feature and no picture is place in the box....

Container fields don't slide if they are set to visualize the image center - center.

To let them slide you have to set those values to left - top

• 3. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
              philmodjunk

Thanks Daniele!

That's one I didn't know.

• 4. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                nymannouri

sounds good - did the sliding thing.... worked out

how can you import an image at a certain scale eg 70% size ----   also

can't seem to get my text 100% Black even when I set the sliders as cmy at 0% and k  with only black at 100%...

I want to make a pdf with the black only text - but it is processing as a part c part m part y and part K...  appreciate you help - Bill

• 5. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                  philmodjunk

"how can you import an image at a certain scale eg 70% size "

Unless some clever programmer has created a plug in for this, I think you'd have to use a graphic editor program to resize/downsample your image prior to using filemaker to import the image.

"can't seem to get my text 100% Black even when I set the sliders as cmy at 0% and k  with only black at 100%..."

That's a new one on me. I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here. I'm guessing that you're trying to use the TextColor function but could be guessing wrong here.

• 6. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                    nymannouri

re color --- yes it's the text color --- it splits to cmyk - not just Black (K) a little percentage in both when looked at in Acrobat --- trying to print a catalog with just black text (K) and cmyk images --- the images split fine as CMYK - it's the black text that's not doing what it is suppose to do even when I wipe it as only K or the cmyk mix

any thoughts    Bill 
                    • 7. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                      philmodjunk

Please pardon my ignorance.

What confuses me is I can't follow where this text is that requires you to specify CMYK values instead of just choosing "Black" from the color palette. Is this text part of the image stored in the container or what?

• 8. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                        nymannouri

Hi -- I have a text field - or even independent text in the layout view.... when I wipe the text or text field and use the cmyk sliders... I set Cyaqn to 0%  Magenta to 0%, Yellow as 0%  then Black as 100%.... I commit the color to the section (text) when I go back to check it - it is not just 100% of Black  - but now a mix of CMY and K  - a percentage of each color  (even when I go to acrobat and see the pdf I created it shows me the application of each color as a percentage - when all I want is just 100% black from the CMYK model.

appreciate your help   Bill 

• 9. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                          comment_1

Filemaker uses RGB as its color model, and doesn't know jack about CMYK. When you specify a color as CMYK (and this can only be done in a color picker which is NOT part of Filemaker), it needs to be translated to RGB before Filemaker can use it - so it's best to specify black as RGB[0;0;0].

If you're outputting to CMYK, the translation will again be done by some other application, not Filemaker. The (Apple) default CMYK equivalent for RGB[0;0;0] is something like [74;71;64;87].

• 10. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                            nymannouri

this is exactly my dilema --- I am doing a catalog and FM is an excelent app for my needs 99.9% useful... except I use cmyk images in the layout but wnat the black text as only black - because a professional printer does not use RGB and certainly will not want to register the text with cmyk mixes throughout the text ----

any thoughts?

thx for you quick help   Bill 

• 11. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                              deltatango
                                 LOL "doesn't know jack."
                              • 12. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                                nymannouri

thx deltatango  - appreciated --- is there a program that can do this similar to FM (as indesign and quark have limits as well with database use

Bill 

• 13. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                                  deltatango
                                     perhaps you meant user "comment"?
                                  • 14. Re: sliding picure boxes  and scaling
                                    comment_1

I don't know what's the solution for this. It's not really a Filemaker issue - it will be the same for any application that uses RGB as its internal color space (I seem to recall a similar complaint regarding Apple's Pages). 

P.S. Are you sure you cannot export your data and import it into InDesign? Surely, that's a very common request.