3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 3:23 PM by johnswhitehead

Sliding Signature Field

Conrad

Title

Sliding Signature Field

I have a variable length letter that I need to add a signature to at the bottom.  All the pieces of the letter slide up nicely but the container field with the jpeg image of the signature will not slide up, but remains in a fixed position.  I googled the problem and ran across a number of posts saying container fields don't slide well in Filemaker.

I am certain Filemaker can handle something as basic as this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Conrad

• 1. Re: Sliding Signature Field
          philmodjunk

Container fields slide just fine in Filemaker. but fields will slide up only if they are "top" justified and will slide left only if left justified. These are the default settings on all fields except container fields and they have their own justification settings in a different part of the inspector. Also, it's not a good idea in Filemaker 12 to use repeating fields that need to slide as this can fail in some cases.

To change these settings, select the field while in layout mode and go to the bottom of the inspector's data tab to find controls where you can change these settings.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Sliding Signature Field
            Conrad

Phil,

Thanks so much!  That fixed the problem.

Conrad

• 3. Re: Sliding Signature Field
              johnswhitehead

I followed these admirably clear instructions but sadly it still doesn't work. If I remove the sliding container the body part contracts when the text fields are less than full but when I add it back the part stays resolutely full size even when both the text fields and the container are empty. If I put another text field below the container it doesn't slide up when the container's empty.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks