1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 10:11 AM by Matty_1

Sliding sub-summary part issue

Matty_1

Title

Sliding sub-summary part issue

Hello,

I have a part in my layout defined as sub summary when sort by.  For some reason the sliding function for this one particular part isn't working properly.  I have the sliding of the text boxes working the way I want it to but the sub-summaries when sorted by always default to one per page there-for I'm left with a four page document that could in reality fit into one of two pages.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
          philmodjunk

In Layout Part setup... check the page break settings for the layout part. Perhaps you have specified a page break before/after each occurrence of the sub summary part.

• 2. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
            Matty_1

Yes I've checked and tried with and without "allow part to break across page boundries" selected (otherwise nothing else selected) and there is no difference.  The sub summary still breaks to a new page and goes to the top.

Otherwise no other parts have anything select with the exception of the the body part which has "allow part to break across page boundries" selected which is of course required for longer bocks of text to display properly.

• 3. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
              philmodjunk

That's not the option I am talking about. I'm talking about two other options in the same dialog:

"Page break before every occurrence"

and

"Page break after ever [   ] Occurrence"

• 4. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                Matty_1

Right, you're wanting me to make sure that they're not checked correct?  If that's the case then no, they are certainly not checked but definitely acting as though they are checked.

• 5. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                  philmodjunk

Well that was the most obvious cause.

Can you do this?

Enter layout mode.

Capture a screen shot of your layout.

Use the controls below Post A Answer to upload them here.

I may see a detail in your layout that is the cause of this issue.

Or review these key facts to see if any trigger an insight:

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                  3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                  5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                  7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                  9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                  11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                  13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                  • 6. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                    Matty_1

OK here's the screen shot, I asked you earlier this week about sliding and you had sent me this list .... I reviewed it yesterday to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I don't think I am but I'll try to answer each questions and you might see something obvious that I'm missing.

NOTE: that the body of this spans about four or five pages to make sure almost any block of text will fit.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           1. OK
                    3.           2. OK
                    5.           3. CHECK, I only have one large text field in the body.
                    7.           4. CHECK, I even tried removing the footer to see if that would help me.  Both layouts (with and without footer) are acting the same.
                    9.           5. CHECK, no portals here anyways.
                    11.           6. CHECK, as far as I can tell the top alignment has been defined, all records within each sub category are sliding perfectly fine but there appears to be a page break at each new category.
                    13.           7. OK

Would you like to see the output PDF as well?

• 7. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                      philmodjunk

What is the bottom layout part with the large text object shown with selection handles on your screen shot? Is it the Body or another sub summary part?

Inside your text block, I see a group of merge fields. Am I correct that the bold faced field, is the field that varies in size from record to record.

Issues you can check:

Check the actual text object. If you have returns inside that text object, then that text object isn't empty and won't slide past those return characters.

Check the contents of your merge fields for extra returns. If you have returns or other invisible characters inside your fields, they may look like they containe less text than they really do and the sliding field setting won't shrink the field to as mall a size as it would appear that it could.

Are there any objects on the lowest layout part shown below the text box?

• 8. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                        Matty_1

Check the contents of your merge fields for extra returns. If you have returns or other invisible characters inside your fields, they may look like they contain less text than they really do and the sliding field setting won't shrink the field to as mall a size as it would appear that it could.

I've check every field and could not take my cursor beyond the last line of the text blocks.

Check the actual text object. If you have returns inside that text object, then that text object isn't empty and won't slide past those return characters.

Again, checked the text box and could not take my cursor beyond the second line you see in the screen shot.

Are there any objects on the lowest layout part shown below the text box?

No, the text box ends nearly flush with the bottom of the part

What is the bottom layout part with the large text object shown with selection handles on your screen shot? Is it the Body or another sub summary part?

It's defined as the body.

Inside your text block, I see a group of merge fields. Am I correct that the bold faced field, is the field that varies in size from record to record.

No, the bold faced field will typically be a short title or a person's name.  <<Task | Details>> is the varying text block.

• 9. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                          philmodjunk

There's only one more thing that I can think of:

Is "resize enclosing part" specified for that text block?

• 10. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                            Matty_1

As in, is the box checked?  Yes.

• 11. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                              philmodjunk

Maybe I'm assuming something that isn't actually the case.

Are all the merge fields in the body part of a single text object or did you group them?

• 12. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                                Matty_1

There is only one large text box I created and manullay typed the field names.

• 13. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                                  philmodjunk

Then I am fast running out of possible reasons why this is putting one sub summary layout part on each page.

The only other thing I can think of is to create a new blank layout and try--without including every detail, rebuilding the layout from scratch to see if that works to get things to slide and reszie correctly.

• 14. Re: Sliding sub-summary part issue
                                    Matty_1

Same thing :(

I created a new layout, added a leading header, sub-summary when sorted by and body extended over several pages.  I then added a merger a field in the sub-summary part and a long text box in the body, manually typed in my two merge fields and then selected "allow part to break across pages"

This yielded the same results as my other layout.

The sub summary is always starting at the top of a new page with the exception of the first page because of the leading header.

1 2 Previous Next