2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 9:22 AM by steve4640

Sliding Up and Resizing Not Working

steve4640

Title

Sliding Up and Resizing Not Working

Hi, I'm trying to get Sliding Up and Resizing to work in Preview Mode and it's not working. I'm trying to shrink the blank space as shown in this screen grab:

http://www.screencast.com/t/cYcMwqw9

Using THESE settings:

http://www.screencast.com/t/OGzCsEZab7c

I seem to recall in the past getting this to work, but now cannot. Anyone have any ideas? The text in those title areas does not have any extra returns, etc. that might prevent the box from resizing. -Thanks!

• 1. Re: Sliding Up and Resizing Not Working
          philmodjunk

Are you aware that you can use the controls below "Post a New Answer" to upload images directly to this forum? That saves others the added hassle of opening a link to another source--which in this day of security breaches might not be exactly safe to do anyway. (some nefarious soul other than you might make such a post only with links that install malware or your sharing site can be infested with malware planted by someone else.)

That said, your set up looks correct for things to slide up, IF you view the data in preview mode, print from the layout or save as PDF. These settings will have no effect on what you see when you are in Browse mode.

The other way that this can appear to fail is if your field has non visible text in it (such as spaces, tabs or returns) below the last line of visible text. The sliding will not close up over the nonvisible text and you'll then still see blank white space with that particular record.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Sliding Up and Resizing Not Working
            steve4640

That works. Thanks for letting me know about the image upload.