AnsweredAssumed Answered

Slow Portal Filtering

Question asked by woodeye on Sep 3, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 by woodeye

Title

Slow Portal Filtering

Hi, I am still in the monkey phase of programing with Filemaker. See and do but not as much understanding as I would like. 

Two tables: Companies and Contacts. Linked via Company_ID fields

Layout with the top portal showing companies. The bottom portal shows contacts.

I have tried two ways to have the bottom portal show only those contacts related to the highlighted company in the top portal.

The first solution was to have a button on each row of the company portal perform a script that would 1) set a variable equal to the company_Id, 2) Refresh window (flush cached join results) and then 3) commit records. Note: the relationship between each table was via the company_id field in each table.

The second attempt was to have (in the relationship graph) the contact table: company_ID field linked to the Company table: Global_company_ID field. On the Layout then, the button on the company portal would then simply set the global company_id equal to the company_Id of the current row.

While both of these solutions worked, there is a 1.5 to 2.0 second delay before the contact portal is updated after clicking the button. This seems a bit long to me. Note that there are 12,000 records in the company table and 4,500 records in the contact table.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

John

Outcomes