1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 2:59 PM by philmodjunk

Slow printing to HP laserjets

JonathanSchultis

Title

Slow printing to HP laserjets

Hello,

I know this has been discussed but I have not seen an answer to the problem of very slow printing to HP laserjets from various versions of FM.  Note that we've had this problem on versions 9 and 11,  on various operating systems,  and on many machines.  This only  happens on the HP laserjets we have,  several models and only newer ones.  Printing works fine on all other apps.  Printing is also fine on other brands of laserjets and inkjets and even older HP laserjets.  I've tried several print drivers,  PCL5, PCL6, and Postscript.  I've tried both the Universal on not and still the same result. It also doesn't seem to matter if it's a document with many records or a just, say,  a quote letter with data from one record.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as you may save the few hairs I have left on my head... :)

• 1. Re: Slow printing to HP laserjets
          philmodjunk

This should be reported in Report an Issue so that it will be seen by the TS folks that work for FileMaker Inc. To the best of my recollection, there have been no such reports for specific HP printers printing slowly so this may be new information if no one has brought it to their attention in previous reports.

But there have been other reports where printing did not go well for specific combinations of FileMaker version, printer and OS. And it's not uinusual for the person making the report to note that other apps print just fine. That can happen for the simple fact that FileMaker interacts with printer drivers in ways that can be very different than the print jobs generated from other applications. Thus, if there's a bug in the printer driver's code, FileMaker might trip over that bug where other apps do not.

In other such cases with other reported printer specific issues, an update of the printer driver or FIleMaker was needed to resolve the issue.