9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 1:20 PM by thong127

slow respond

thong127

Title

slow respond

Hello to evrybody,

Just wanna ask something, I'm almost done to my new data base it consist of 281 fields and 130 relationships. Is this the cause when I enter data into the field it response so slowly?

I know this is a nonsense question but it gives me a problem. 

Thank you very much and more power?

• 1. Re: slow respond
          mrvodka

While having lots of table occurrences can lead to some possibly latency, I would suspect that it is some other cause.

What do you have on your layouts? Is the file stand alone or served? Are you using ESS? You need to provide a lot more info.

• 2. Re: slow respond
            thong127

Hi Mr. Vodka,

Thank you for your immediate reply, as of now it is stand alone, and I'm Planning to put it on a server.

Not all the 281 fileds are on my layout. Can I change the default preferences like the layout color palette and the memory file cache settings?

Thank you.

thong

• 3. Re: slow respond
              mrvodka
                 The cache may help but the default should be fine. I dont think either will affect your performance though. So you have lots of summary fields and or calc fields on your layout?
              • 4. Re: slow respond
                thong127

Hi Mr vodka,

Yup,i have many calculation fileds all in all is 121 and my table of occurences ate 130. Is this the possible cause why their is a late response of my data base when I'm entering data into the field?

Thank you.

Thong

• 5. Re: slow respond
                  thong127

Hi Mr. Vodka,

Almost all my Calculation fields contains "Case(IsEmpty(Product1) or IsEmpty(Product2) or IsEmpty(Product3) or IsEmpty(Product4) or IsEmpty(Product5) or IsEmpty(Product6) or IsEmpty(Product7) or IsEmpty(Product8) or IsEmpty(Product9) or IsEmpty(Product10) or IsEmpty(Product11) or IsEmpty(Product12) or IsEmpty(Product13) or IsEmpty(Product14) or IsEmpty(Product15) or IsEmpty(Product16) or IsEmpty(Product17) or IsEmpty(Product18) or IsEmpty(VisibilityProduct19); 0; Serial 2)" this is the longest calculation field in evry category. this is in ascending order up to 19.

• 6. Re: slow respond
                    mrvodka

Woahhh...

It seems like you have a big normalization issue here. Your file should not be structured this way. Why is there Product1 - Product19? There should be a seperate table for products.

• 7. Re: slow respond
                      thong127

Hi Mr. Vodka,

I put them in one (1) table and I seperate them using Tab Control. In my first tab it consist of P.O No., Invoice No. (Invoice1..to Invoice30 but I hide the 19 fileds using those calculations and portals), Vendor, Phone No., Fax No. and Addrress.

In my second tab it Consist of the Product (product1...to Product20 but I hide the 19 fileds using those calculations and portals) Catalogue (catalogue1...to catalogue20 but I hide the 19 fileds using those calculations and portals) Quantity (same with cataloge & Product) Unit (same with the others) & Price (same with the others).

can you suggest something can I do to improve my data base and avoid the late response of my data base.

Thank you so much.

Loreto

• 8. Re: slow respond
                        mrvodka

You need to read up on data normalization and relational databases. Keeping this is one table and using multiple field for the same thing is the wrong way to go.

Here is what a quick google search on data normalization brings up:

http://www.datamodel.org/NormalizationRules.html

http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/a/normalization.htm

I strongly suggest you read up on it and restructure your file.

• 9. Re: slow respond
                          thong127

Hi Mr. Vodka,

Cheers...I try your suggestion and it works...I really appreciate your suggestion.

...the site that you sent to me it helps me a lot.

Thank you and more power.

thong