2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 1:42 PM by dayanden

SMPT Set Up Help Needed

dayanden

Title

SMPT Set Up Help Needed

Correct me if i am wrong as I am very new to using SMTP. It is my understanding that Filemaker Pro 10 can use SMTP to send email directly. I am currently trying to get the SMPT settings in FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced to send messages through my Yahoo account.

I have Yahoo Mail Plus and have it is working with a few other programs on both a mac system and a PC windows system. The file I am working on is running on a MAC OS X 10.5.6.

I have the following fields in the SMTP set up screen....

- User Information -

Name: “MyName”

E-Mail Address: "MyAccount@yahoo.com"

Reply-To Address: "MyAccount@yahoo.com"

Sever Information -

Outgoing SMTP Sever: "plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" and “plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com”

Port: I have tried “25”, “465”, “587”, and “995”

Authentication: I have tried “Plain Password” and “Cram-MD5” my only 2 options

User Name: I have tried “MyAccount” and “MyAccount@yahoo.com

Password: I have entered my account password several times in case of a mistake.

Am I missing something? Help would be appreciated.....

It is my understanding that POP is for incoming to the computer and SMPT is for outgoing. I need the out going from my computer to Yahoo.com. 

I also contacted Yahoo Support. Because I have “Mac Mail” working fine they were unable to help me further.  They recomended that I provide the following information:

- Incoming server: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
      - Outgoing server: plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
      - Do not check "Log On Using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".
      - Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
      - If you're using SMTP/outgoing port number to 465 and Pop/incoming port number to 955, both SSL checked.
      - However for SMTP/outgoing port number 25 or 587 and Pop/incoming port number to 110, both SSL should be unchecked.

Help Please... What am I missing?

I have a Yahoo “Plus” account....

• 1. Re: SMPT Set Up Help Needed
          Jade

Hi,

I also have a Yahoo Plus account.  FWIW, my settings are somewhat different:

Server Name:             smtp.mail.yahoo.com 

Incoming Mail server:  pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing SMPT server: smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Use default ports (25, 465, 587)

Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

Authentication: Password

User Name: MyAccount

Password: MyAccountPassword 

• 2. Re: SMPT Set Up Help Needed
            dayanden

Tried changing my settings to match yours as well as a few other things with the yahoo account. Coulden't get it to work.

Next i got a Gmail account that was free. Works like a charm. anyone else using Yahoo may need to switch email providers.

Don't know why it works with Gmail and not Yahoo but there you go...