2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 6:30 AM by ClayTarver

SMTP email works from Mac, fails from WinXP

ClayTarver

Title

SMTP email works from Mac, fails from WinXP

Running FM10 Server Advanced, FM10 desktops, a "send email" script works fine with desktop running OS 10.5.7 but gets "SMTP server refused the connection" from a Windows XP box. 

The SMTP server is First Class on n Xserver.  The error sounds like an authentication issue, but the account information is in the script; don't see how it can vary.  Any ideas?  Thanks

• 1. Re: SMTP email works from Mac, fails from WinXP
          TSGal

clay_tarver:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to reproduce this problem.  Here is our setup:

FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on an iMac 24" running OS X 10.5.7, and a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP3.  From both machines, I send via SMTP Server, where the outgoing is the same for both Mac and Windows XP.  No authentication.  I am sending to the same email address and the Subject and Message are both set to "Test".  Both emails are sent successfully.

Do you have access to a mail server that does not require authentication?  This may help shed light on the issue.  Also, make sure the mail server is spelled identical.  I once spent an hour on the phone with a customer only to discover characters were switched (stmp instead of smtp).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: SMTP email works from Mac, fails from WinXP
            ClayTarver
               Thanks for your efforts - the problem was that our Win machines and our Macs have different DNS servers, which have (had, now) different addresses for the SMTP server.  We made them agree, although I could have had the email script determine the operating system and use the appropriate address.