5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 9:52 AM by rtrigg_1

SMTP Encryption Issue

DanMc

Title

SMTP Encryption Issue

I setup a script within my database to send an email message via a server side schedule.  The email gets sent but bounced.  

Looking at the SMTP server log the FileMaker Server 10 Advanced server is encoding the email address.  The reason the message is getting bounced is because the from address appears to the SMTP server as: 
      =?UTF-8?B?RGFu?=<dan@training.com>

I unchecked some of the FileMaker Pro language settings including curly quotes to no avail.  I can't find any other local or server encoding options referring to anything else except PHP and UTF-8.  I doubt that is related and is necessary.

Dan

• 1. Re: SMTP Encryption Issue
          TSGal

DanMc:

Thank you for your post.

It appears that some SMTP servers encode the name portion of the email address.  For now, if you do not include the Name (just the email address), it works fine.

I worked with another user, and I sent him and myself SMTP emails with names attached.  Through our sever, the emails he received were fine.  The SMTP emails he sent through his server were not.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: SMTP Encryption Issue
            DanMc

Thanks for the quick reply.

We did not add a name.  Email address only.  e.g. dan@training.com

I know it appears that way in the SMTP error log entries I posted.  But it isn't so.

Thanks again,

Dan 

• 3. Re: SMTP Encryption Issue
              DanMc

I just discovered it works fine if you use SMTP authentication.  The servers and workstations on our local network are not required to authenticate with the local SMTP server.  Unfortunately, that's the only way to get around this newly discovered FileMaker bug.

Thanks gain for your help.

Dan 
              • 4. Re: SMTP Encryption Issue
                TSGal

DanMc:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have forwarded this to our Development and Testing departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: SMTP Encryption Issue
                  rtrigg_1

Here's another data point:  I got the smtp script step to work on our set up (Communigate Pro email server) by ensuring that the To address is in simple form (no name), the From address in SMTP settings is in simple form, and the Name field in the SMTP settings is blank.  It doesn't seem to matter for us whether authentication is on or off (SSL is off). 

- Randy