1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 6:11 PM by R12GS

Snapshot link BROKEN, can it be fixed?

R12GS

Title

Snapshot link BROKEN, can it be fixed?

Snapshot links that were made by a client in an FM Server environment contain target information that links to that database on the server.  If created on a server, snapshot links won't open a backup, locally.

I need to open these server-environment snapshots in my local backup, so I can re-save NEW snapshot links that WILL work on my local backup.

Here is the FILEMAKER system message that pops up when I try to open a snapshot link:

The file “Inventory” could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host.

How can I open these old snapshots on my local database copy?  I have 25 snapshots that I need to open.

• 1. Re: Snapshot link BROKEN, can it be fixed?
          R12GS

OK I figured this out myself.  There may be other ways to do it, but this worked.

I opened the "old" snapshot link with TextEdit, and I could see the second line had IP addresses and directories etc.  So I made a NEW snapshot link with the databases on local harddrive, and opened THAT snapshot link (with TextEdit).  Comparing the two text files (I think they are xml) I could see that the 2nd line had directory information pertinent to my laptop harddrive.

I copied the "working" 2nd line over the "old" snapshot 2nd line and resaved the .fpsl.

It works - got my record sets!