12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 9:56 AM by derekhouse

Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7

samimi

Title

Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7

Are they compatible? Or Leopard, at least?

• 1. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
          davidhead

FileMaker Pro 7 pre-dates both Leopard and Snow Leopard. Thus, I would not expect any official word from FileMaker regarding compatibility. 

FWIW, FileMaker Pro 7 works OK on my Leopard Mac but I have not got Snow Leopard yet ;) 

• 2. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
            samimi
               Thanks, David. That's exactly the answer I need.
            • 3. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
              FentonJones
                 Any FileMaker version less than 8.5 is not going to run "native" on an Intel machine. It will be run in Rosetta, and the performance penalty is substantial.
              • 4. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                sundown

I have been running FMP 7 on 2 Intel Macs with Leopard with no problem. What performance penalty would I see?

I also am interested if anyone has tried FMP 7 with Snow leopard before I upgrade.

• 5. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                  jbarnum
                     Hi Sundown - it's true that FileMaker 7 runs on Intel OK, but as Fenton pointed out, if you tried 8.5 or later you would see a major speed increase. Right now it's running in Rosetta, which is an emulation layer, analogous to Virtual PC (before the advent of VMWare and Parallels).
                  • 6. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                    sundown

Thanks jbarnum for the reply. I was unaware of this even though I sometimes had some unusual behavior when inputting data.

I have been trying to decide if I needed to upgrade to 10, but was worried I might disrupt my database operation or have to make some changes. I use this on a regular basis for my business & have years of design/revisions invested in it.  

This sounds like a reason, in addition to wanting to go to SL, for me to upgrade. Is FMP 10 relatively new or could another update be close?

Any problems you know of that I should expect? 

• 7. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                      jbarnum
                         I strongly doubt that you will find any problems switching from FileMaker 7 to 10. FileMaker 10 was shipped January 5th, 2009, so I think it's reasonable to expect some update in mid 2010, but I wouldn't wait based on that. They also have a pretty affordable annual maintenance program that gets you all of the upgrades for a lot less than buying them a la carte.
                      • 8. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                        phil
                           Filemaker 7.0v3 works fine on the intel macs running snow leopard provided that you first run font book and remove any duplicated or bad fonts. Bad or duplicate fonts can cause the records to appear blank, they will also cause problems with other applications.
                        • 9. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                          A2Quser

OK, FM7 and (mostly) FM8 work with Leopard.  Here is my (I sure hope unique!) problem:

ON an old, old Mac Tower we had OSX 10.4.8, and it ran FM Pro 6 (yes, 6:) in Classic mode just fine.  Well, it ran for the prime user.

I finally got said prime user to upgrade to a new iMac (dying monitors will do wonders for upgrade desirability), and of course it won't run Mac Classic software.  I drop in the FM Pro 8 CD that I've had waiting for years, and it can't find the FM6 to qualify the upgrade.  Or whatever else it needs to approve this upgrade.

What do I do to install the upgrade?  In my storage bay I can find FM3, FM8, and FM8.5 CD's.  I paid for FM4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 8.5 CD's (or downloads as the case may be).

But I've got a case of strong resistance to upgrading/changing, and now I _must_ upgrade the new system. 

How? 

• 10. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                            TSGal

A2Quser:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                              banksias

I have just joined the forum when I found that I could not open all the Filemaker 7 files now that  I  have an intel Mac and Leopard (am avoiding getting Snow Leopard for now).  I have no trouble creating new files.  The old ones  give this message which I don't understand -

"The temporary file "FMTEMPFM4b85b2b6038f.tmp" could not be created on the system disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, or unlock it."

When I looked at the last opening dates it was March 2009 three months after I got the intel Mac so I then thought all was OK.  What's all this temporary file stuff?  Please help as I am not a technical person.

• 12. Re: Snow Leopard on Intel iMac and Filemaker 7
                                derekhouse

fp7 is perfect with OS 10.5.8 (Leopard) which I've used for many years, every day.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with expereience of Snow Leopard and fp7.

Regarding the FMTEMP files; I just replaced by backup copy of FP7 (from Time Machine) and it worked again perfectly immediately.