3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 4:16 AM by hiatts

So basic as to not even be a newbie-level question

pareidolia

Title

So basic as to not even be a newbie-level question

Please forgive the massive ignorance attached to this post. I do not own FileMaker but I will be happy to buy it if it looks like it will help me achieve a goal.

There is a historian I know who has a database made in FileMaker (no telling how old his version might be; it is Mac-based), and the database has 20,000 entries.

It is his desire to be able to export this into a format that can be sold, either on DVDs or web-based, and used by people who don't own the software. 

All that I am familiar with are Word docs, pdfs and html docs. From a small amount of research I did on the web, pdfs created in FileMaker are huge.

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms if I could (fairly easily) accomplish this, with the purchase of the software? If it makes a difference, I own both Mac and PC so could work in whichever platform would do the job the easiest.

TIA for any help you can send my way. This man is incredibly deserving of help, and I would love to be able to lend a hand.

• 1. Re: So basic as to not even be a newbie-level question
          TSGal

pareidolia:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will work on both a Mac and Windows machine, so no need to worry about which platform to use.

FileMaker Pro Advanced allows you to bind your solution and distribute it to users without them needing to purchase a copy of FileMaker Pro, so the receiving users do not have to learn FileMaker Pro.

You've asked such a general question, that it is difficult to give you a complete answer.  My best advice is to download a 30-day trial from our web site, and work with it.  This may give you an idea if it will work for you.  If you should run into any difficulties, you are always free to post here, and someone should answer your question in a timely manner.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: So basic as to not even be a newbie-level question
            pareidolia
               Thanks so much for your very kind advice. As I understand it, the problem in the past at least has been that what info appears on a unique page in his copy translates to something like 50 columns. But you're right; all I can do is try it for a month and see if I can figure out a way to make it work.
            • 3. Re: So basic as to not even be a newbie-level question
              hiatts

This really depends on what you want to do with the export... how interactive/dynamic must it be, or as you mentioned pdf, is rather static. You may also want to consider other issues such as how do you control the sharing and further dissemination of the data.

If static... why dont you export as html? Works in all browsers...