3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 10:47 PM by schamblee

Software license: Wording

tays01s

Title

Software license: Wording

I've modifed a license from: http://www.marsdd.com/mars-library/software-licence-agreement-sample-template/

and would be interested in any constructive criticism on the wording. Use a Word docx if it helps. Note that disclaiming liability may not work if the software is intended to be a 'medical device'.

NSS Limited

Copyright 2007-2015, All rights reserved.

Terms of SOFTWARE use (License):

1. Grant of License and general points

Subject to the terms and conditions of the Agreement, NSS grants the Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the software. The Licensee may not transfer or sub-license the software to any third party, in whole or in part, in any form, whether modified or unmodified.

General points:

This agreement is effective from the time the User (Licensee) downloads and/ or uses the software of the Licensor, ADDRESS

SOFTWARE is interactive educational software. I, the user, accept entire responsibility for any use of this software.

By opening this software you agree to the terms of the license.

SOFTWARE software is supplied on a 'per named user' basis, henceforth referred to as a user licence but remains the sole property of NSS.

To ensure accurate calculations the user should update to the latest version of the product when advised by NSS. This is because:

NSS seek to incorporate the best research into SOFTWARE.

Feed product turnover is high necessitating regular update of the feed database.

NSS aim to correct known 'bugs' as soon as possible.

If NSS suspect that a customer is abusing this software licence, on the provision of evidence via email to a named contact, NSS have the right to terminate the license agreement and any monies already paid to NSS will remain the property of NSS. Should this occur, the legal entity may apply to use the software again, but will be treated as a new user and will forgo any rights to discounts based on historic use.

If using SOFTWARE software as guidance to clinical scenarios professional standards require that the user agrees:

I am a qualified dietician, adequately experienced in nutrition support and fully accept that the results provided by SOFTWARE are provided for guidance only and will always be subject to my professional judgement if used in clinical cases.

I have referred to original papers to understand the full context of SOFTWARE results before applying them.

SOFTWARE software is an educational support tool for dieticians, not a substitute for a dietician! NSS accept no liability for mathematical error in the software. Any calculations made by the SOFTWARE software should be considered guidelines, and their use is always subject to the user's professional judgement. NSS accept no liability for any claim for damages under any circumstances relating to the use of the product.

The SOFTWARE product bases some of its calculations on data provided by third party organisations. NSS accept no liability in relation to data supplied by third parties.

NSS accept no liability for damage caused by viruses that may be transmitted in software or data provided by NSS.

2. CONSIDERATION TO NSS

Licensee shall pay the license fee to NSS when and as requested in order to use the software.

3. COPIES

Licensee must reproduce and apply the copyright notice and proprietary notice of NSS to all archived or back-up copies of the software.

4. OWNERSHIP

The software in any part or form is copyrighted to and remains the property of NSS.

5. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS

Licensee recognizes that NSS regards the Licensed software as its proprietary and confidential information. Licensee agrees not to provide or make available any part or form of the licensed software without prior consent of NSS. Licensee must make every reasonable effort to protect the confidentiality of the Licensed software.

6. TERM

The license granted shall continue unless and until terminated (see Section 7) subject to the Licensee meeting their license obligations.

7. TERMINATION

NSS may terminate this Agreement if Licensee fails to meet any part of this Agreement and fails to correct such default within 10 days after written notice from NSS.

8. TERMINATION CERTIFICATE

In the event of termination, the Licensee will immediately discontinue use of the Licensed Software and within one (1) month furnish to NSS a certificate (written statement) that all copies and parts of copies of the licensed software have been destroyed. The provisions of Sections 4, 5, 8, 11, and 13 survive termination of the License Agreement.

9. MAINTENANCE SUPPORT

Licensor will provide to Licensee the following support with respect to the Software during the 1st year of this Agreement:

(i) If there is a substantial software error the Licensor shall verify and attempt to correct the error within 30 working days after the date of notification. If Licensee is not satisfied with the correction, then Licensee may terminate this Agreement, but without refund of any amount paid to Licensor or release of any amounts due Licensor at the time of termination.

(ii) The Licensee may submit questions to Licensor free of charge up to 1 hour per license.

(iii) If License desires to continue the Software support specified in this section, Licensee shall pay to Licensor the maintenance fee(s) set forth in Exhibit A.

i

10. DELIVERY OF LICENSED PROGRAMS

NSS shall deliver the Licensed Programs promptly after payment.

11. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER

The Licensee accepts NSS licenses and software "As is." NSS provides no warranties as to the function or use of the licensed software, whether express, implied, or statutory, including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the licensed software is with the licensee. Licensor does not warrant that the functions contained in the licensed software will meet licensee's requirements or that the operation of the licensed software will be uninterrupted or error free.

12. PATENT AND COPYRIGHT INDEMNITY

NSS has copyright to the software with all rights reserved. NSS shall have no liability for any claim of patent, copyright or trade secret infringement based on the use of a Licensed software in any form other than the original, unmodified form provided to Licensee.

13. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

NSS's liability to license under any provisions of this Agreement for damages finally awarded shall be limited to the amounts actually paid by the Licensee to NSS. In no event shall NSS be liable for indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, including loss or use, loss of profits or interruption of business, however caused or on any theory of liability.

14. NOTICES

All notices in connection with this Agreement shall be in writing.

15. SUCCESSORS

This Agreement will be binding upon the parties and their respective representatives and successors and except where this Agreement states otherwise.

16. SEVERABILITY

If any part of this Agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this Agreement shall remain in force.

17. GOVERNING LAW/FORUM

Both parties consent to UK personal and exclusive jurisdiction.

18. NON-ASSIGNMENT

This Agreement and the licenses granted by it may not be assigned, sub-licensed, or

otherwise transferred by Licensee without the prior written consent of NSS.

19. EXPORT REGULATIONS

Licensee understands that NEAR is subject to regulation by agencies of the U.S. Government, including the U.S. Departments of Commerce and State, which prohibit export or diversion of certain technical products to certain countries. Licensee warrants that it will comply in all respect with the export and re-export restrictions set forth in the export license for the Licensed Programs and all other applicable export regulations. Licensee agrees to indemnify and hold NEAR harmless from any loss, damages, liability or expenses incurred by NEAR as a result of Licensee's failure to comply with any export regulations or restrictions.

20. ENTIRE AGREEMENT

This Agreement sets forth the entire understanding between the parties with respect to the subject matter and merges and supersedes all prior agreements, discussions and understandings, express or implied, concerning such matters. This Agreement shall take precedence over any additional or conflicting terms, applies to both free trial or purchased products. The Licensee agrees to this license from the time of starting a free trial or requesting an 'Activation Key'.

• 1. Re: Software license: Wording
          schamblee

For legal advise, you should contact a lawyer.   I'm not a lawyer.  If you use any of my statements, it is at your own risk.

You have an extra 1 under General Term. 
          The numbering is confusing. The sub-items, I would indent and change to letters.  Any sub-part of a sub-item, I would leave as a number be indent.
          I assume you have a name for your software and will change in the agreement where it states Software software.

I would add that you are not selling the software, but selling a license to use the software.

#. Licensee acknowledges that this is only a limited nonexclusive license. Licensor is and remains the owner of all titles, rights, and interests in the Software.

#. This License permits Licensee to install the Software on more than one computer system, as long as the Software will not be used on more than one computer system simultaneously. Licensee will not make copies of the Software or allow copies of the Software to be made by others, unless authorized by this License Agreement. Licensee may make copies of the Software for backup purposes only.

If your software is going to be licensed on annual basis, I suggest stating that under terms.  

In the United States the state is specified under line 17 Governing Law.  Laws are different in each state.

Most contracts in the U.S. have an arbitration agreement, which I include in my license agreement.

If the software retrieve information from the internet, then I state that the user will need an internet connection, which they are required to purchase separate, to use that part of the software. 

I would state the intent of this software, such as used as a medical device, or not used as a medical device.  If items are used as a medical device, I'm sure there are laws and disclaimers that those devices use, so I would include those disclaimers. To help limit the company's liability.  

I spell out the cost of support, how to obtain support(email or phone), and when the user should receive an answer for their question.    

• 2. Re: Software license: Wording
            tays01s

Thanks. Re:

#. This License permits Licensee to install the Software on more than one computer system, as long as the Software will not be used on more than one computer system simultaneously.

That's something people presumably can't allow if using the Persistent ID to prevent multiple copies being handed around.

• 3. Re: Software license: Wording
              schamblee

I didn't mean to paste that part of that line, just the part about not making copies, except for backup up purposes.   I got rushed this morning and didn't proof read.