3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 8:12 AM by mrvodka

Solution Tuning under Windows

jspurr02

Title

Solution Tuning under Windows

I have FMP 10Adv newly loaded on a Windows Server 2003 with 4 cores, 4 GB, and 1.8 GHz per core.

Right now, I am running a table migration script against a table of 160,000 rows and 79 fields, migrating to 7 different tables with a variety of rules and calculated conversions.

FMP seems to be only using about 50MB with a total of 800 MB in use (nothing else really going on, except a couple of IE windows open, but not used). I access the system with Remote Desktop.

It looks like this will run about 16 hours (Note: after 40,000 records and 8 hours, I figured out to turn on Freeze Window ... so I am expecting an improvement)

Here's the thing: The CPU is running at about 25% ... which, I assume is all the solution can muster (whether it is disk bound [doubt] or just can't use more than 1 core, I am not sure)

The end application will have many more records (probably > 1MM in the main table), but generally only be used by 1 user, occasionally 2.  Most queries will be searching for data stats (e.g. how many records found in table 1 where  table1::fielda contain xxx and table1::fieldb > ##, etc -- and more complex as well)  After a series of data stat queries, an export matching the favorite stat query will occur, generally between 10,000 and 100,000 rows for analysis in an external system).  This kind of activity will likely occur several times per week.

From time to time, 10,000 to 100,000 records will be added and/or updated.

Can anyone recommend tuning and/or configuration system parameters to adjust, as well as any tips for solution tuning performance overall?