11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

Some field data not showing up

RishiTrikha

Title

Some field data not showing up

I have set up my database using a master layout. This master layout shows information from related records that I have created/imported through a key field (an ID number). I have changed the ID number field type from "number" to "text" to accomodate the IDs with letters (e.g. B5 different than 5). My first 50 fields are numbers, the next 10 are letters and numbers (e.g. B5 or E31). The rest of the fields are either just numbers or numbers and letters, however the data that has been imported for these last fields are not showing up on my master layout. For example, I have created a table that looks exactly like my excel sheet and is exactly how I want it to look. However, upon trying to incorporate the data from this table into the master layout via the portal tool, the data for the first 60 fiels show up perfectly fine, however the rest of the fields all have some missing data. Is there a way to fix my problem?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Some field data not showing up
          philmodjunk

It would appear that you are using table view. There's a limit to how many pixels wide your table view can be. Once you reach that limit--usually around the 50-60 field mark, no more columns can be added to the view.

You have several options to try in order to work around that limit:

1) Make your columns as narrow as possible.

2) Duplicate your layout and put some columns into the view on one layout and the others in the second layout. You can set the view in layout set up to show the header and then a button in the header can flip you between views with a single click by changing layouts.

3) Use a List View instead of a table view. This is more work to set up and a bit less flexible in some respects, but it does not have this limit and you can also add buttons to the same row as your row of fields which can make the layout much more user friendly in many cases.

• 2. Re: Some field data not showing up
            RishiTrikha

I am using list view and cannot see these fields, however in table view I actually am able to see the other records. The list view has allowed me to incorporate data from other tables using the portal tool in Layout mode, but I don't believe I can use the portal tool in table view (the view that looks similar to an excel sheet). I have noticed that some of my data shows up for the fields that are greater than 60, however some of the data is missing.

• 3. Re: Some field data not showing up
              philmodjunk

If you are using list view, my previous comments do not apply. They referred specifically to table view.

Fields do not automatically add themselves to a layout in all cases. This only happens on the current layout when you define a new field and then only if you have selected that option in preferences. Since FileMaker can't put the fields where I want them automatically and often changes the size of the body to make room to add them, I routinely keep this option disabled in my systems.

To add a field to your layout requires using the field tool to add them or you add a portal and specify fields for the portal as part of the initial setup.

So can you add these fields while in layout mode?

Can you add the fields in layout mode, but they are empty when you go to Browse mode?

• 4. Re: Some field data not showing up
                RishiTrikha

Yes, I can add fields whilst in layout mode and have done so using the portal tool. They are visible in layout mode, however when I switch to Browse mode, only the field data for the first 60 or so records are visible. After these records, the field data is largely missing.

• 5. Re: Some field data not showing up
                  RishiTrikha

I have tried to reimport the field data into the appropriate small table and again use the portal tool to show the field data on the master layout, however the same problem persists

• 6. Re: Some field data not showing up
                    philmodjunk

If you can't see a record in the portal that you think should be there and the portal is unfiltered, then the record is not correctly linked to the layout's current record in a relationship. As I suggested in the other forum section, you'll need to very carefully check the values in the match fields to determine why they don't match. The presence of even one character in one match field that is not found in the other match field is all that it takes to keep them from matching. That extra or missing character may not be a visible character, it could be a space or other such character.

• 7. Re: Some field data not showing up
                      RishiTrikha

"The presence of even one character in one match field that is not found in the other match field is all that it takes to keep them from matching."

I do not quite understand this statement. If the match field data obtained from the portal works for the first 50-60 records, then the match field should be exactly the same (and they will match). Why would the match field data not match for the rest of the record. It appears to be matching in my database.

Upon first importing my data and portaling into the master layout, a lot of data (but not all) could be seen for ALL records, however now that I am trying to reimport the data to fill in this missing data, only the first 50-60 records show any data at all.

Thanks again

• 8. Re: Some field data not showing up
                        philmodjunk

So i have one record with "xyz" in table 1.

I have 3 records in table 2 with "xyz" and 3 records in table 2 with "xyz ". On a layout based on Table 1, A portal will list the first 3 records and not the last 3.

• 9. Re: Some field data not showing up
                          RishiTrikha

so 6 records in table 2 with "xyz" ? Why wouldn't a layout based on Table 1 have a portal that listed only 1 record?

• 10. Re: Some field data not showing up
                            RishiTrikha

all of my tables have the same (or a very similar) number of records. They all have approximately 300 records

• 11. Re: Some field data not showing up
                              philmodjunk

so 6 records in table 2 with "xyz" ?

Better read my previous post again. That was 3 records with "xyz" and three records with DIFFERENT text in the match field: "xyz ". Note the extra space after the z which will keep those records from matching to the record with "xyz" in table 1. That's just one possible example of how data can look like it matches, but doesn't when you use text fields to match data in relationships. It can require taking a very careful look at the data to spot problems of this sort.

You may also want to upload screen shots of your layout showing the issue that you are having. I keep imagining multiple ways you might have tried to set this up on your layout and the options you choose can make a difference in why you are getting the results that you report.

If you choose to upload such screen shot, do it twice, upload what your layout looks like in browse mode and then do it again with an image captured showing the layout in layout mode. When you upload that layout mode image, make sure to include enough of the status tool bar at the top so that we can see the "Table" designation for the layout.