3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 8:50 AM by philmodjunk

Some help with Associations Needed...

DarinKinsey

Title

Some help with Associations Needed...

I am building a database of historical information.  I want to be able to search for associations between people (a max of 3).  So, I created one master list of individuals "individual data" and 3 different lists, individual1, individual2, individual3...as you can see from the image. 

The only problem is that when I choose the first name, the other two boxes copy that name.  I changed the second box to give me a list of names from individual 2, and the third from individual 3. 

It's not working. 

Not sure what to do...thanks for any help.

Screen_Shot_2013-02-01_at_3.35.18_PM.png

• 1. Re: Some help with Associations Needed...
          philmodjunk

as you can see from the image.

Actually, I can't see that from the image. A screen shot of your layout, while helpful, does not tell us how you have designed your tables, fields and relationships.

when I choose the first name, the other two boxes copy that name.

That sounds like you have three edit boxes on your layout that all refer to the same field in the layout's underlying table. Thus when you enter data into any one of these three edit boxes, you are entering data into the same single field and all three then show the same change to the data in it.

The best way to link your individuals--which won't be limited to just 3, BTW, is to add an additional "join" table to link any one record in your indivdiual table to any other record in your individual table.

• 2. Re: Some help with Associations Needed...
            DarinKinsey

I very much appreciate your attempt to assist me...but I don't understand anything you said. 

I built this database in FM7 and it worked quite well....now when I upgraded it to FM12, it's giving me these problems.

Here is a picture of the entire database...it's doing a number of wierd things, like putting in entire lines of text when I only ask it to put in the 3 letter code from a list of coded catagories.

• 3. Re: Some help with Associations Needed...
              philmodjunk

Sorry, but it's really not a picture of the entire database. You are showing me a single layout.

I built this database in FM7

Then surely you can describe the tables and relationships you built?

A few more details would be detectable if you uploaded a screen shot of your database captured while in layout mode instead of browse mode.

What you have in Manage | Database | Relationships would also be very helpful.

it's doing a number of wierd things, like putting in entire lines of text when I only ask it to put in the 3 letter code from a list of coded catagories.

Sorry again, but you'll need to provide a lot more detail about that before anyone has any chance at helping you figure it out. That sounds like you may have a relationship between two different tables and data from a related table is being looked up for display on your layout, but without a lot more detail, I can't even confirm if I am guessing correctly.