3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 8:23 AM by mrvodka

some questions before shifting to filemaker

jykk

Title

some questions before shifting to filemaker

hi, I am new and someone introduce filemaker to me.

Before start, I would like to know the following and would like to have some advise.

1. Do I only need to create a database file and copy to other PC. PC user can only just click the file without install anything?

2. What should I do if I need to create a database for PC and Mac user? They are sharing same databases.

3. As I know, databases with some user interface created from access, access can pack in package and copy to user PC where user PC does not need access. Does File maker do the same way?

4. the database file created from file maker with user interface and script, should I just copy to server and users can just link to server and can share this file, it is a proper way? or

5. create a web bases file and copy to server where users can access by IE, firefox or safari?

Sorry for two any questions.

Thanks

• 1. Re: some questions before shifting to filemaker
          mrvodka

I will try and answer your questions.

1. Do I only need to create a database file and copy to other PC. PC user can only just click the file without install anything?

•  IF you are talking about sharing a file, then the other PC will use 'Open Remote' to connect to the already open file. If you are talking about if somone can copy a file to another computer and if it can be opened, then yes as long as the other computer has FileMakerPro of Pro Advanced. 

2. What should I do if I need to create a database for PC and Mac user? They are sharing same databases.

• FileMaker is cross compatible. There are some minor differences between the two versions but you can code it to accommodate it.

3. As I know, databases with some user interface created from access, access can pack in package and copy to user PC where user PC does not need access. Does File maker do the same way?

•  FileMaker can create stand alone runtime solutions but they are not networkable.

4. the database file created from file maker with user interface and script, should I just copy to server and users can just link to server and can share this file, it is a proper way? or

•  Yes. The best setup is to have a dedicated server with FileMaker Server running on it. The files would be served on there and then all the others that want to connect to the files would use FileMaker Pro / Pro Advanced to connect to the files as clients

5. create a web bases file and copy to server where users can access by IE, firefox or safari?

• FileMaker has embraced PHP and XML/XLST.  FileMaker Server has a PHP site assistant that can help you create some PHP pages.

• 2. Re: some questions before shifting to filemaker
            jykk

Thanks for reply.

Refer to your reply, I have the following queries. Would like to clarify.

1. Base on your reply, I understood that all user should have a copy of filemaker installed, right?

2. No matter where is the database file, user need to have a copy of filemaker pro, right?

3. Standalone runtime copy cannot share same database file

In another word like what I program by Visual basic. After I compile as exe file, users can execute this exe file and connect database located at server. Users do not need to have copy of visual basic. But filemaker did not, right?

Thanks

• 3. Re: some questions before shifting to filemaker
              mrvodka

Yes that is close to correct. You can not compile an installed front end application that connects to just the FileMaker Server as you would with VB. Each client should have FMP/A installed on it. Otherwise, everyone would just buy 1 copy of FileMaker, create a runtime solution to talk to server and install it as many times as they want regardless of license.

But keep in mind that you can use a web interfaces as well as ODBC being an option.