8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 8:11 AM by philmodjunk

Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host

ToddCarlson

Title

Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host

All,

I need someone to go through what I have built and make sure that it is stabil before I host it.  It rocks pretty well but I just know that I have done some things that work but look and act not as should be.  Why do I say this?  I am so new but I've figured out so much either on my own or with the help of this forum.

Before I let clients use this, I'd like someone to go through it.  How do I do that?

• 2. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
          SteveMartino

Here's my thinking....

First off, I have come here and received much help from the FM community, which I greatly appreciate, and thank them for, to design a database for my small business.  I'm not a developer, nor do I plan to sell my database. 

Most of the people on here (I feel) who help all the time (of course Phil, S Chamblee, DaSaint, just to name a few) are professionals and do this for a living.  They volunteer here because they want to help. 

At some point, if your designing a database that you are going to deploy as your job, and receiving payment from a client, add in the cost to pay a professional to check it.

Through your post and the answers you received for free, you have saved thousands of dollars in consulting fees & you have had free access to  years of others experiences. You have now created a solution that you want to sell for a profit, but want experts to bless it for free.........pretty bold.

I only relate this experience to my own.  I'm in the HVAC business and also volunteer on 4 HVAC related websites- 2 that help homeowners, and 2 that are for professionals only.  Guidance to homeowners almost never includes DIY information, for their own safety. 

There's even 1 site (I won't belong to) where you post a problem, and the response is "...I can help you fix that for X amount of dollars....Do you wish to proceed.....?"

Imaging what that wouldve cost you (us) if FileMaker did that.

Enjoy and appreciate all the free advice and help, but sometimes you have to pay a professional to get you over the finish line.

• 3. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
            ToddCarlson

I would have gladly paid a great deal of money for the advice that I have already received and my intention is to pay the going rate for someone to "bless it".   How could I imagine someone spending hours going through all my scripts and fields for free?  

If my post implied anything for free, my apologies as that is and was never my intention.  I have used forums to build turbo charged engines and several other things including a decent database in FileMaker.  I appreciate everyone involved and I always will but I run businesses for a living and would never, ever, expect anything for free.  Thanks for the time you took to comment.

• 4. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
              SteveMartino

I wasnt trying to offend you Todd.  And I don't know the rules for hiring a personal consultant from this site--whether you private message them individually from their profile, or you go to FM and look at their consultants links.  You just didnt make it clear that you wanted to hire someone, and my thinking was no one may respond to your post.

I don't personally know anyone here, but if I needed to hire someone, it's pretty obvious who are the best ones here to contact....;)

Good luck to ya.

btw, you got a pic of that engine??:)

• 5. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
                ToddCarlson

I was hoping someone would either PM me or direct me to someone they suggest.  Thanks.  Pics...

• 6. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
                  ToddCarlson
                  /files/ac9db52a8b/D_EDGE_TWS_0606_Green_D_007_026.jpg 1280x857
                  • 7. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
                    SteveMartino

THATS  a beauty!!!!!!  Maybe sweeten the pot and throw in a ride around the track :)...Ok enough hijacking..

• 8. Re: Someone to clean up my relationships etc before I host
                      philmodjunk

There are no restrictions on making contacts with consultants here in the forum. And there is also a link at the top of this screen labeled: "Consultants" that you might want to click...