3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 7:05 PM by RickWhitelaw

sort alpabeticaly

pmozz1

Title

sort alpabeticaly

im new and dont know much about filemaker but here's my problem.  When my dad createed his data base Idk 12-13 years ago he put the adress name and house number in the same feild fo instance  1313 eastway is in one feild.  so my question is we now need to arange 12 years of adress alpabeticaly but when we do a search and try to sorth them they sork acording to number not street name is there anyway to get them to sort by street names.. some one told my i could add a caculation feild that would look at the address then move right till it foud a space then use the data but i have no idea how to do this if anyone could help or know a beter way to do it would be greatly apreciated. im using filemaker pro 10 on a mac.  thanks

• 1. Re: sort alpabeticaly
          mrvodka

You may want to think about splitting the number part into its own field. Look into the Left, LeftWords, Middle, MiddleWords, etc etc functions.

You can use Replace Field contents on the new field to prase out the number and then parse out the street.

Make a backup of your data first as you can not undo.

• 2. Re: sort alpabeticaly
            dataWolf

By the ideals of data normalization, you should separate those into two fields.

Standard USPS is Street Number, Street Name, Street Modifier (Apt # etc)

Long term, it will make things easier for you :)

especially because we have some addresses with 1/2 in them, so those functions would have to be more complicated to handle those... 

• 3. Re: sort alpabeticaly
              RickWhitelaw

Interesting to me . . . I'm a bit of a freak for normalization yet I've never considered having street address number in a different field than street address name (a good idea). "Address 2" is in a different field 'tho. . . usually an apartment number or RR. The reason? I never have the need to sort or find by street number or street name. All the same, it's like chicken soup . . . it couldn't hurt!

RW