AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sort by version number?

Question asked by DavidPerlman on Apr 11, 2010
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 by DavidPerlman

Title

Sort by version number?

In a Filemaker 10 database I have a table with fields that have software-style version numbers; the fields are part of an outline, so they are numbered like:

If I sort on this field, they come out in the proper order, unless some of the numbers are greater than 9.  So for example I'd see:

which is not the way I want these to be ordered.  I have been struggling with this for a while but there doesn't seem to be any way to get this to sort properly.  I have been working on trying to calculate a sort key but I can't find any way to get that to work either.

I do have the ability to work with the individual digits; I originally tried putting them into a return-separated list (rather than using "." as the separator) but that doesn't work at all. I also tried using a space as the separator.  Either way it appears that the sort function ignores everything after the first separator if it's space or return.

I could convert the digits into letters of the alphabet, which would give me the ability to have it sort properly up to 26 instead of only up to 9, but that's still a pretty small functional limit.

It seems like what I'm trying to do isn't that outlandish, so I'm hoping this is a familiar question to someone out there!  Thanks very much for any advice!

Outcomes