6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 10:58 AM by aammondd

Sort Checkbox Set

foremap

Title

Sort Checkbox Set

I have a checkbox set on a layout whose values are based on a value list (table) similar to the following:

F1   F2

1     Charlie

2     Beta

3     Alpha

I would like to only display the values from F2, but sorted by F1.

• 1. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
          ryan

go to File > Manage>Value Lists

In the "Use Values from Field", you'll find all the options you're looking for.

• 2. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
            philmodjunk

This is a known limitation of filemaker and it never made sense to me that it is limited in this fashion. When you hide column 1 you can no longer sort by the values in column 1. Other database systems allow you to sort a value list in this fashion and you can even specify a third field for the sort order if needed.

Unfortunately, there are no simple work arounds for this limitation in filemaker.

• 3. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
              foremap

Dare I ask what the "complex" work-around would be?

• 4. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
                philmodjunk

I was thinking of a method that I've seen Comment post, but it was for creating an arbitrary sort order for a single column value list and I can't see a way to get it to work with two columns like you've specified.

The options that come to my mind replace the check box with a portal of related values with a "selection" check box on each portal row. Since these values are now displayed in a portal you have much greater freedom in how you sort your portal rows. If you make the borders of your portal 0 width or transparent, the result can look just like a vertical list of check box values only sorted in the desired order.

• 5. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
                  aammondd

You can use a sorted self relationship and display related values and show only second field I would think at least

I dont have a test database handy at the moment.

• 6. Re: Sort Checkbox Set
                    aammondd

Nope