1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 11:25 AM by philmodjunk

Sort issue for records with altered creation date

HollisBrown

Title

Sort issue for records with altered creation date

My Database has 800 records. I use two main criteria to Sort the database. One is an Internal Counter that is automatically added to each new Record and the second is Creation Date. There were two records that were deleted back in the day- Records 600 and 601. Last week I created two new Records and used administrative access to alter the Internal Counter and the Creation Date so that there wouldn't be two random missing Records. 

If I sort by the Internal Counter or by the Creation Date, everything looks great. My problem is that when I quit FileMaker Pro and relaunch it, the Records I only recently created show up after Record 800. The same thing happens when I click Unsort (which I don't regularly do, it's just a clue as to what is happening when FileMaker Pro is quit). I thought that altering the Creation Date would trick FileMaker Pro into thinking that's when these Records were really created but there must be some other way the program keeps track of Records.

What is happening to the sort order when I quit FileMaker Pro? (My guess is that it's being 'unsorted') What is the sort order when Unsort is clicked? Is there something I can change to control the Unsort order? Or, put another way, how can I get FileMaker Pro to really think that Records 600 and 601 were created after 599?

I'm using FileMaker Pro 11. Thanks,

Jon

• 1. Re: Sort issue for records with altered creation date
          philmodjunk

The sort order should not change when you close a file that is open on your computer. If you are hosting it from a different computer, the sort order, found set, etc will revert to whatever was the case the last time the file was opened on the host. If you are hosting with Filemaker server, that will be the last time it was opened directly with FileMaker Pro instead of hosted from the server.

But you can set up a script to sort your records into the desired order each time your file is opened or you can sort your records once on the host to have that as the "default" sort order that users first see when they open the file.

An Unsorted set of records will display in creation order, the order in which they were created. You can change the unsorted order by sorting your records into a different order, then importing all of them into a clone of your file--replacing your current copy of the file with the new one into which you imported the records.