1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

Sort Order resets on each re-open?

NikkPilato

Title

Sort Order resets on each re-open?

Hello all,

I'm having a minor problem, more of an annoyance than a huge issue, but...

I have one of my layouts set to sort my first column alphabetically (numerically). But each time I close the program and open it again, the sort has reset to sort it from high to low, instead of low to high. 

I'm curious as to what could be causing this "reset" behavior.

• 1. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
          philmodjunk

If the file is hosted over the network and you are using Open Remote, the sort order you select as a client will not be retained and you'll see the last sort order set up from the host the next time that you access the Database.

Script triggers could also be set up to specify a particular sort order and you can use this method to insure that you always see your records sorted in the correct order.

• 2. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
            NikkPilato

Ah, I see...

On a related note...

is it possible to link a field in one layout to another field in another layout...which is already being drawn from a third table? I'll see if I can simplify this...bear with me:

The tables in question for this problem are:

Inventory, Lockers, and Locks.

In the Locks table, I simply have two columns: Lock serial # and lock combination.

I have a relationship between the Locks and the Lockers tables, so that in the Locker layout I can go to a locker number, simply enter the serial number of the lock, and voila! The combination for that lock appears. This is especially handy at the end of the year when we switch some locks around. So far, so good. (So, for example, for record #1, Locker #01, I enter 123456 and the combination appears automatically in the combo field).

I also have a relationship between the Inventory and Locker tables. In the Inventory layout, I can enter the locker # (not the serial number, but the actual locker number), and because of the relationship and linked fields, the serial # automatically appears...but for some reason, the combination is not.

Is this because I am linked to what is essentially another link? Is there a way around that?

Good lord, I just wore myself out trying to wrap my head around what I wrote!

• 3. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
              philmodjunk

I suggest a picture of the actual relationships involved captured from Manage | Database | Relationships. While I would not link records by locker number nor by lock serial number, what you have described in words should result in being able to see the combination field from Locks on the inventory layout so we need to see the exact relationships in order to understand why this isn't working for you.

• 4. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                NikkPilato

I'm sure this is going to look like an absolute mess to advanced filemaker pro users, but...here it is:

• 5. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                  philmodjunk

If you create a layout based on inventory, there is no relationship from inventory to locker to lock. Instead it goes from inventory to student information to locker to lock. Any break in that chain, and a field from locks, when placed on the Inventory layout, will not show any data.

As a test, try creating a layout based on Inventory two and see if a field added to it from Locks works for you.

PS. The biggest issue revealed by your database design is that you aren't using internally generated unique identifiers such as an auto-entered serial number to link tables in relationships. What you have can create a number of problems when a name, locker number or lock serial number is entered incorrectly, data is added in records in related tables and then you try to correct the data entry error.

• 6. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                    NikkPilato

I think I may start a new database from scratch and try to tidy up some of the issues.

Is it possible to assign these internally generated unique identifiers when doing an import from an excel file? 

• 7. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                      philmodjunk

Yes. Set up a field to auto-enter a serial number. When importing, select the option for enabling auto-enter options.

• 8. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                        philmodjunk

You can also use Replace Field Contents with the serial number option to assign such a value to your existing records in your current database. So you may not need to start from scratch.

• 9. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                          NikkPilato

So....I started a new database from scratch, but still cannot get the above problem resolved.

This time I started with Inventory and related it to the Lockers table (which is itself related to the Locks table). 

I am able to type in the locker # in the Inventory table and the lock serial # populates correctly, but the combination will still not come up.

As far as I can tell, it is indeed happening because the combo field is linked to a link, but I don't see a way around that issue. Granted, I've been using FMP for all of a couple of months, so...I will keep working on a few different alternatives...

• 10. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                            philmodjunk

Sorry, but it's not due to a link being linked to a link as far as I can tell from what you have posted. I use relationships that link "through" other table occurrences to  third table without trouble.

How are you accessing the combination data?

Have you defined a field in Inventory that auto-enters (copies) the combination or did you try adding the combination field from Locks to your Inventory layout?

• 11. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                              NikkPilato

I'm trying to access the combination data via the relationship of the Inventory table to the Lockers table

Currently, I have the Locker # linked between Inventory and Lockers. Additionally, I have a "Lock Serial #" field, and a "Lock Combination" field that I have linked to the Lockers table (::Lock Combination and ::Lock Serial). The serial field works without a hitch...as soon as I enter a locker number under any particular instrument record, the serial # for the lock pops up immediately. But the combo does not.

Now, as far as the Lockers table go. I have the serial # there linked to the serial # in the Locks table (the locks table has to be kept separately). I have a Combination field that automatically populates the combination from the Locks table as soon as I enter a serial number for the lock. It is that field, the combination field, that I am linking to from the Inventory field above.

I am sure there is a less roundabout way of doing this, but I'm such a noob that I cannot figure it out. I've attached a pic of what my relationships look like thus far in this new database.

• 12. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                                philmodjunk

This doesn't answer my last question:

How are you accessing the combination data?

Have you defined a field in Inventory that auto-enters (copies) the combination or did you try adding the combination field from Locks to your Inventory layout?

See this demo file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/InventoryLockerLockDemo.fmp12

• 13. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                                  NikkPilato

There is a field in Inventory that I've set up to auto-enter the combination, just as there is one that I've set up to auto-enter the serial number. From what I can tell, it is pretty close to what you've done.

But now, somehow I have managed to delete the auto-entered serial numbers...

How can I enter them once a list is in place? Man, this is just turning out to be a nightmare.

• 14. Re: Sort Order resets on each re-open?
                                    philmodjunk

I do not use any fields to auto-enter the  lock combination. I don't do that because I don't want to have issues getting the data to update correctly such as changing what lock is assigned to a particular locker--which won't cause an auto-entered field for the combination in the inventory table to update.

Instead, I added the fields to the inventory layout directly from the Lockers table occurrence:

1.           Enter layout mode on the Inventory layout
                                    3.           Drag and drop form the field tool in the status tool bar to the spot on your layout where you want the combination field.
                                    5.           Select the "Locks" table occurrence form the drop down in the top of the specify fields dialog that automatically opens.
                                    7.           Click the name of the combination field in Locks to select it.
                                    1 2 Previous Next