5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 10:07 PM by arronman

Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes

arronman

Title

Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes

My database has multiple copies of some records to show repeat visits. Other records are not duplicated. I have tried using scripts via Filemaker Help, but can't get them to work. I have done one file manually, but I have another six files, two of which are large enough to be very tedious.

I hope to be able to automate the process of identifying duplicate records so that I can create a separate, but related table of "shops" within the same file.

To elaborate, the goal is to create a layout which displays the unique "shops", then a portal displaying data collected from separate "visits". There are already a lot of records with same shops, but visited on more than one occassion with different data results. I have successfully - with much help from Philmodjunk and also from Sorsbuster - created reports from the table which I will call "Visits" To do this I need to create the "Shops" Table as mentioned above.

I hope that is clear enough for someone to offer me guidance!?

• 1. Re: Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes
          philmodjunk

If I have that correct, you want a table of "shops" with one reocrd from each shop created from your current table of "visits" that has multiple records on each shop.

In your new shops table select a Unique values/validate always field option on a field that uniquely identify each shop. If no single field will do that, you can set up a new text field that uses an auto-enter calculation to combine data from several fields and set your unique values validaiton option on it.

Then you can use import records to import the data from visits into shops and the unique values setting will automatically filter out the duplicates.

• 2. Re: Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes
            arronman

Hmmmm. Sounds good, but just testing that I understand ...

Not having much luck. Tried to test the auto-enter calculation to combine data from several fields, but can't get that simple step to work. Done it before, but just tried over & over without any result.

Will try to evaluate the rest of your suggestion when I pass this obstacle!

• 3. Re: Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes
              arronman

Please ignore my previous post: pretty dumb. Sorry.

What is not obvious to me is importing record data from one table to another. I can import from an external file into a new table, but not into an existing table with a different name, or so it seems. My original database has only one table, named "Table". I am trying to set up a new file with at least 2 tables, eg, Visits and Shops, using all the record data from the original file.

I get how to set up the identifier with unique values, but don't seem to understand how to import the existing data into the new table.

• 4. Re: Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes
                philmodjunk

You can import data into a different table of the same file but not the same table. You go through the same steps just as though importing from a different file, but pick the file you already have open. But make sure that you have defined a new table and not just made a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? for it on your relationships graph.

I don't see why you would want to import into the same table of the same file.

• 5. Re: Sort to display only 1 record instance, hide dupes
                  arronman

A miracle! It worked, after a bit of experimentation.

Done it again PhilModJunk! Thank you, thank you!