2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 11:46 AM by jimmyfix

Sorted calculation

jimmyfix

Title

Sorted calculation

In order to keep this short I won't go into all that I am trying to do.

I would like to create calculation fields that will summarize all of the debits and credits for a particular account number without having to display it all in a layout. What I want in a single line is... account -> total debits -> total credits. So the calculation has to add up all the values of debits, for example, where the account is a certain value. I want this to be for all records, which after a number of years could be quite a few, but I don't want to have a big long list of the records just to get this value.

Example:

Acct=1100  total debits= whatever  total credits= whatever

Acct=1200 etc etc etc.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am trying to help a friend have an accounting solution that is just like a program he used to use. He is old and doesn't want to learn something new.

• 1. Re: Sorted calculation
          philmodjunk

Option 1. Make a summary report where you put your line of fields in the sub summary part when sorted by Acct. The various total fields such as total debits would be summary fields. Delete the body layout part by clicking the body part label and pressing the delete key. Now enter browse mode, find the records you need for your account and sort them by the Acct field. With the body layout part removed, you'll get one row per acct.

Option 2. Create a new table where you have one record for each acct. Relate it to the original table by acct. Now calculation fields defined in this table can use Sum to total various fields such as total debits and credits. A list or table view layout of this table will also give you the same results.

• 2. Re: Sorted calculation
            jimmyfix

Thank you very much. Option two has done the job and very nicely too. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. I now have the data to bring into the other table as well.

Thank you so much both for the quick response and the insight....