1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 6:10 AM by philmodjunk

Sorting a list

AustinEckman

Title

Sorting a list

I have a drop down box with everyones name in it and each person is a part of several groups. I have another drop down box next to it and when I select a group I want the names to be sorted by people in that group so when I go to the names box it only shows people of that group. Is there a way to do this without portals and such and just keeping it to lists and drop down panels.

• 1. Re: Sorting a list
          philmodjunk

What you describe filters a value list, it doesn't sort it. This is called a conditional value list.

Here are some links on the subject:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.