3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 10:09 AM by jsalzer_1

    Sorting change?

    flybynight

      Title

      Sorting change?

      Post

      We jumped from v6 to v9, so this change probably happened with the v7 file format changes, but anyway...

       I have a customer db that we access via a drop-down lookup. The lookup pulls a calc filed from the customer list that is something like:

      Company_Name & " - " & Cust_First_Name & " " & Cust_Last_Name

      To give you a list that looks like

      Henry's Hardware Store - John Doe

       

      For come customers, we have many contacts who might order from us. I have some customers who have many contacts, but 95% of the jobs come from one primary contact. So, for that contact, I added " 1" at the end of the company name: "Henry's Hardware Store 1". That way, when I started typing the first few letters of the company, the main contact was selected first.

      Since we changed to v9, the records with " 1" added  to them alphabetize to the end of that customer in the list, rather than in the beginning. So, now I have type "Henr" to get to "Henry's Hardware Store" in the list, but I have to scroll or arrow down to the last record in the list rather than it coming up first.

      If possible, I'd rather not modify the name fields to do this, but I am OK with adding something to company field. Is there a fix that will get me back to the old behavior?  

        • 1. Re: Sorting change?
          raybaudi
            

          Hi FlyByNight

           

          > So, for that contact, I added " 1" at the end of the company name

           

          I really don't like your way to sort your customer list, but what about adding " -" ?

          • 2. Re: Sorting change?
            flybynight
              

            Sorry that you don't like the way I sort my list. Sheesh!

            Actually, just eliminating the 1 and leaving the extra space after the company name worked. 

            • 3. Re: Sorting change?
              jsalzer_1
                

              What would you think about this:

               

              In your contacts table, add a text field that you will use as a checkbox to label a contact as a "Primary" or a "Secondary" contact.

               

              Then, change your calculated sort field to:

               

              Company Name & " - " & Case ( Type = "Primary"; "*"; "" ) & NameFirst & " " & NameLast.

               

              You can have the new field default to either Primary or Secondary (your preference).  You get the benefits of your primaries at the top without altering their first names, and an asterisk in front of their names feels less weird than a "1".