4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 6:31 PM by Sam2

sorting or finding according to fields

Sam2

Title

sorting or finding according to fields

I have  adatabase with 18 columns or fields. Some of the fields contain images and some type.I

want to do a "sort" that only calls up records that have information in one field that also has an image in another. How do I do that?

Can I also do a sort where i get the records that have the description field ( type), but DON"T have an image in another field?

I have uploaded an image of the database if that helps...

Thanks ahead of time!

Sam

database.jpg

• 1. Re: sorting or finding according to fields
          philmodjunk

Your "sort" is actually a search. Are you asking if you can specify find criteria in a container field? That can't be done. You can, however search for records where the inserted image has a specific file name. Is that what would work for you?

• 2. Re: sorting or finding according to fields
            Sam2

I just want to print out only the records that have both an image AND a description. I can sort those that have anything in the description field, I just can't figure out how to add the limitation to only records in that sort that have an imge as well...

• 3. Re: sorting or finding according to fields
              philmodjunk

Ok. Same limitation--can't put criteria directly in the container field, but different solution.

Define the following calculation field, cEmptyFlag in your table:

Not IsEmpty ( YourContainerFieldHere )

and select Number as the Result type.

Now you can find all records where there is an image in the container field by specifying a 1 in the cEmptyFlag field.

• 4. Re: sorting or finding according to fields
                Sam2

I still haven't figured out how to do this. I'm kind of a newbie so I don't understand how I define a calculation field...I don't even know what a calculation field is.

Can someone walk me through this like I'm an idiot?